macbook buying advice...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ibookman321, Feb 27, 2008.

1. ibookman321 macrumors member

hello! i want to move to a mac... can i get applecare at the end of the "complamentary" applecare? and i am leening towards the white macbook 2.4GHz nothing else ecept a case (its a rip to buy ram/hdd from apple) and i probably will not be able to get the mbp i like the size of the mb but will the macbook pro be better? this is what i plan to do:

photoshop,
    ms frontpage (via VMware fushion)
    win movie maker (maybe imovie)
    ms paint (period)
    web surfing (duhh)
    E-mail (DuhhhhhhhhhhhHHHH)
    software development
    graphics desighn (a noted above)
    dvd viewing (...)
    music (DUOooooooooooHHHrRRR)

and this list gos on and on but will the wmb (white macbook) acomadate it well?

thanks!

PS: i want the wmb but if i have to (he takes a big breath) the mbp* :(

*MBP being big silver and heavy and this stands for: Massive Book Promotion:eek:

2. trip1ex macrumors 68000

I would probably step up to a MBP if I was heavy video/photo/graphics design etc person.

Also would look into using Mac software where possible as I don't think doing most of your work in Fusion (or Parallels) is that enjoyable.

3. ibookman321 thread starter macrumors member

hhhmmm... i gatsta use ms paint... other than that... front page thats it! the mbp is a little big... hhmm... it looks kinda funny with the speaker grid... silver looks good keyboard feels good... it does cost alot... mom and dad probably wont go for it... :) it should be medium photoshoping... and i will want to use a cad proogram in fushion... is that bad?...

4. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

If you do end up going for the MacBook, just make sure you get the top of the line one :)

5. ibookman321 thread starter macrumors member

yeah i plan on going with the white macbook 2.4GHz pcu and i dont wont to get much more upgrades it will cost to much with the ram and hdd

and the main resone i made this thread (aside from the main topic :p) is that i was wondering if i could perchuse applecare like say o when the complamentary one is about to go? and is it better to go third party with the insurance? thanks again! :p:)

6. mets1125 macrumors regular

You can purchase applecare anytime within the first year. Yes you can wait till the end of the first year to purchase it.

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You can buy AppleCare any time during the computer's first year. It will cover you against mechanical defect only - it does not insure the computer against accidental or malicious damage or theft.

8. ibookman321 thread starter macrumors member

good good! now i might get a mbp... i will have to look at it some more!

9. ibookman321 thread starter macrumors member

:apple: i dont know... should i get glossy (if i go mbp :) ) or flat? i guess i will ask they guy at the store... but what do u think? :apple:

10. maclawlz macrumors newbie

Get whatever the hell you want. It's your freaking money for crying out loud.

11. closeupman macrumors member

closeupman

Unless that's some special European term, I wouldn't say that at the store :D

It's glossy or matte. It mostly only matters for graphic professionals. If you can go to a local apple store and check out the difference there.

12. ibookman321 thread starter macrumors member

yeah i ment to say that ;) and thats what a ment i want to go to ais computers and ask them what that macbook pro is. and is matte better for pros? or glossy?

13. Conjo macrumors newbie

Matte is. Cause the matte screens have a beter way of displaying color, it'smore realistic like, like the outcome to a printer for example. The glossy screens show the colors in a more extreme looking way, which for consumers is a good thing, not for pros.;):apple:

14. ibookman321 thread starter macrumors member

u lost mii... matte=good for pros?

or glossy?

15. Conjo macrumors newbie

If you want the screen to display the colors as realistic as possible, go for matte. (That's what pro's often choose for)

16. ibookman321 thread starter macrumors member

ok... i will look at the one at ais computers again and ask if it is matte (if so good cus they have a mb that is glossy so i can choose!:D)

still i might not go pro tho... wow thats a lot 'o rimming... :D

17. ibookman321 thread starter macrumors member

hmm... i could get the 2.0GHz (refurb) sooner... should i do that or would it be better in the long run to wait a little bit and get the wmb 2.4GHz (new)?

18. ibookman321 thread starter macrumors member

BUMP!

welll i guess it would be but hmmm......:confused:

19. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

You could look in your refurb store. I am not sure if you are in the US (might have missed that) but I assume you aren't? Either way, check your refurb store because the 2.2 SR macbook Pros and 2.4s are a really really good deal here now. A 2.2SR macbook pro refurb costs about as much as a new macbook....

The screens are much better on the macbook pros.
    The battery life is a bit better.
    3d modeling programs or CAD via windows is really helped out by the dedicated graphics card in the macbook pro.
    Matte is better for colors.

The footprint of the macbook pro isn't all that much bigger then the regular macbook because the screen bezel around the macbook is larger. Just so you know. I've had both and prefer the macbook pro for a main computer for graphics work.