Macbook buying based on WWDC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vchalupa, May 12, 2009.

1. vchalupa macrumors member

Hey guys,

I need some advice as to when to buy a new unibody Macbook. I'm a college student and so I will be looking for education discount and the summer promotion of a free iPod. But here's my problem, I could wait for the promotion and buy it with the free iPod AFTER WWDC or I can buy now from someone who gets a 15% discount on all Apple Products. The problem is, they have this offer only till May 30th.

So in the end, the price comes to be essentially the same, give or take a few dollars. So my question is,

How sure are we that the iPod promotion will be rolled out this year?
    Are we to expect big updates from WWDC?

Thanks! Any help is appreciated!

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

1. Yes, it happens every year.

2. Maybe. Check the MR Buyer's Guide.

3. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Wait

It can't be bad if ou wait, after all the price is the same and you get an ipod.

WAIT ! you can do it

4. stylus604 macrumors newbie

Waiting for WWDC, even if Apple does announce a drop price/performance increase, it won't take effect for refurbs until end of June right?

Also, the back to school offer, it's only in person at the Apple store right? I can't get a refurb UMB and get the free ipod nano?? Thanks!

5. vchalupa thread starter macrumors member

I'm not so sure about the refurb MBs but I know that you can buy new MBs from the education store. I did it with my MBP last summer!

6. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

In Store or Online.

Refurbs are not applicable for the discount.

7. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I would wait as the MacBook will probably be updated before you start school. Why not get the newest latest and greatest with an iPod right before school starts?

Waiting will probably pay off with faster CPU, possibly OLED display, and maybe even better battery.

8. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Eh, I wouldn't count on those things. I mean, how long has it been since there's been a speed bump? Compare that to the average time and if it's close to a speed bump then grab it. The satisfaction that you'll get owning the computer beforehand usually negates any small updates that happen a couple months after you own it.

Plus, if you always wait for the speed bumps, you'll never stop waiting.

That being said, I'd wait until WWDC just to see the speed bumps because it's really close. But like, after then I might just pull the trigger.

9. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

OLED screen? Please don't raise the hopes of others hahaha

There is no such thing as latest and greatest. The moment you buy it, it's old tech.

10. amabo macrumors member

I highly doubt that they'll even touch the notebooks. They had an event less than a year ago and upgraded the white macbooks in January. It will take some time before they drop the price.

11. fokket macrumors regular

I'm waiting more for the non-glossy option than anything else.

March bump was negligible IMO.

12. fokket macrumors regular

Nevermind, was talking about MBP