Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrownMySorrow.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Well, I have a late 2008 13" Macbook Aluminum, (I've had it since Christmas of 2008) and just yesterday, I noticed a weird buzzing-like sound coming from the inside of it. There's also a faint vibrating feel to it. I felt around, and the vibrating feels like it's coming from under the middle of the keyboard more severely. The buzzing occasionally sounds like it's getting faster, and then slower, faster, slower, etc. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

DrownMySorrow.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
what applications were open when it was 149F?

and it could be your hard drive

Safari, iTunes, and System Preferences. However, I wasn't using iTunes. Now, I only have Safari open and it's at 131 Fahrenheit, at ~2000 rpm, fluctuating up and down to 2500 rapidly as I'm typing this. However, the noise or vibrating hasn't made any changes.

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
Does it only buzz when it is plugged into the power adapter?

You can sometimes feel a buzz which is from the wall socket AC electricity. The metal case picks it up a bit like static electricity.

If so it's not harmful.

Could also be the hard disk.

Everything about temperatures and fans sounds about OK, nothing to worry about there.

If you work the computer hard (eg Youtube videos) the fan will run much faster. Does that change the buzzing?

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Sounds like it swallowed an iPhone set to vibrate :D

Okay, seriously... if it's under the center of the keyboard, it's either a wonky fan bearing or you've sucked some gunk into the fan that lives there (go to ifixit.com to see exactly where the fan is mounted). You can try spraying some canned air back in through the outlet on the back, take it apart and see if cleaning will help, or replace the fan.

lyons238

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
149F seems a bit high unless you were watching videos or other flash apps. mines usually at 100-117F while just browsing/itunes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.