Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gorka53

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
I just bought a new Penryn MacBook (white, midlevel) from my local Apple store. It has a noticeable steady buzz that does not vary with increased or decreased usage. It reminds me of the buzzing of the florescent lights at my old college library, but it's not as loud as the lights. Also, when I lift the screen to wake up the MB from sleep mode, there is an audible grinding for a few seconds. Is the HD on the fritz out of the box?

Thanks for your help.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I would take it back ASAP and get a new one. Do this fast so there's no issues at the store. The laptop is probably defective. They will give you a new one.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
The grinding when you open it means it is looking for a CD/DVD it thinks is still in the drive.

gorka53

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
I took Hankster's advice and hustled back to the Apple store, less than 24 hours after I bought the MB. I registered to see a tech person and had to wait about 10 minutes for my appointment. It turns out that the grinding noise when coming of sleep mode is normal HD activity for a MB. It certainly doesn't sound pleasant to me and none of my prior PC notebooks were that noisy coming out of sleep mode.

As to the steady buzzing, the tech person said that it was the fan. We listened to my MB and compared it to the store's MB from the back room and mine was definitely louder. The tech guy said that something sounded tight. He said they would give me a new MB and he went and got the store manager who took care of me right away.

I have to say that I was very pleased with my treatment, which was very professional and straightforward. I thought that when the tech person told me it was a loud fan, that they would just tell me to take my MB, quit whining and go home. Quite impressive service.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Great to hear you got a new MB :) :) :) It is nice to receive good CS isn't it? I always found if you return something the same say it was purchased the store is more likely to give you whatever you want to make you happy.

Oh, and yes...the drive does "grunt" when the laptop starts up. After a few days you won't even notice it. Happy to hear you got a new MB ;)

iViking

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
Know what you mean....

Good God I had that with my past 3 SR Macbooks.

My Penryn MB doesn't have it, but has an issue with missing 1 out of every 20 or so keystrokes.

Anyway, I feel for you as the buzzing is BS and totally annoying!

Get it replaced!

si2000

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
i had a penyyn that buzzed too. heard it really loud through my pillow. i have a different one now, without the noise. also general differences in fan pitch and harmonics, being a guitar builder i can appreciate the complexities of acoustic chambers. this one also has a low whine at 1800, but i like it. sounds like a jet engine.

roisin and mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Hey there, if you don't mind my butting in on your thread-

I've been having much the same problem lately (I bought my MB in mid-december, so it's definitely older than yours), and I tried to post a question here, but I don't think I could get anybody to answer since I was having trouble describing the noise and ended up getting reeeally longwinded ;)

But your initial post describing the problem you had is actually really good for what seems odd with mine too, so I'd like to ask everyone what you think should be done when it happens with a slightly older, but still less than three-month-old MacBook.

Please bear in mind that I've already been to the reseller I bought it from (where I live you can't buy direct from the Apple representative, unless it's online which is kind of a long and overly complex procedure, so I bought it from the reseller the guys at the 'Apple Demo Center' recommended); I've also been to the Apple Demo Center itself. Both times (rather embarrassingly), the MB totally behaved and you couldn't hear a thing, but from the description, the guy at the Demo Center thingy said it sounded like just normal MB noise. I was still worried because it seems to have gotten noisier than it used to be, but he assured me it's just that it's sort of hitting its stride, as it were *shrug*

Any thoughts?

EDIT: forgot to add some info on the model. It's mid-level like the OP's (only older, bought in mid-december, 2007), so it's 2.2 GHz, with a 1GB RAM. I'm not very good at the under-the hood stuff in computers, but if you tell me where to look I could give any other info (probably!)

If you could help me out on this, I would seriously appreciate some opinions; the folks at the reseller's and the Demo Center said it's all fine, but then for some reason you couldn't hear the buzz when I was there, so I'm still not reassured all is well :( It's starting to really encroach on my enjoyment of this otherwise lovely computer :(

simonph

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
thanks.. gonna get them to swap it out before the 14 days runs out. failing that, its back to PC for me.. My wife's dell doesn't make a peep and the Asus I've been working on for the last month is as quiet as a mouse :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.