macbook buzzing

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pattman247, Mar 26, 2008.

1. pattman247 macrumors regular

do any of your macbooks emit a small buzzing noise where the cpu is? i don't think it's the famous whine problem since it is constantly on, and doesnt make a different noise under a different load. what could this be? a fan problem? after the fourth macbook i don't want to get a replacement, I rather just fix it myself. maybe compressed air might help, did anyone have this problem before?

any help would be appreciated

2. Italchef macrumors 6502

Mine makes a very soft buzzing sound that seems to be coming from the right side of the keyboard. I just put it down to the Macbook's operating sound. Not very load, or disturbing.

Mick

3. pattman247 thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean by that? so you just live with it right. I'm thinking it must be the fan, and not the logic board, since it sounds like a fan in a way.
    Is this only in the penryn macbooks and pros? and what does apple say about this

4. Italchef macrumors 6502

i have a very faint sound coming out of my iMac as well. I'd probably hear it more than I do if I was able to stick my head up close as I can with my Macbook. I haven't heard of the Macbooks being dead silent but then again I haven't searched the threads for it. Have you? I'd say that what you're hearing is normal. When something is going wrong you definitely know.
    Hope this all helps you.

Mick

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

There's a squeal that sounds when one of the cores isn't utilized. It goes away when both are under load. Apparently, this is common to all Macbooks, if not to all c2d laptops. Since I have Azureus running 24/7, I rarely hear it.

6. pattman247 thread starter macrumors regular

this isn't the common whine that's been going on ever since the macbooks came out, since the sound doesnt go louder or softer, it's always there, the same sound, and my other macbooks where dead silent (after installing shhmbp that is)

7. Italchef macrumors 6502

I really never gave this much thought until I came across this thread. Now, everytime I'm on my baby and it's quiet enough, I hear it and it is making me crazy. From what you know, is this a normal sound for the pen Macbooks?
    Thanks,

Mick

8. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

I don't hear any noise coming from my MacBook. It's pretty silent. I mean if I get close enough I can hear the hard drive running but no noise from where the CPU is.

9. pattman247 thread starter macrumors regular

would it be a big hassle for them to switch the fan, or would it only take a few minutes?

10. wedge234 macrumors member

That's probably the thing that's amazed me the most, but I guess I haven't owned a new computer in about 5-6 years.

11. pattman247 thread starter macrumors regular

it really sucks, it sounds similar to my large sony hifi that emits a loud pitch through the speakers, and some soft songs can't even get past it. I think the sound got worse, since now I hear it very well while listening to music (through large speakers), should I care enough to fix it. I don't really want a replacement.

Also, do your macbook keyboards hit the screen? or the top of the bezel hit the clicker, so that after a while there would be a line in the centre of the clicker?

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Since this is your 4th MB...

I don't know if there is anything that we can share with you that you haven't already heard. My BlackBook 2.4 Penryn is the quietist computer I've ever owned or utilized. My first MB 2.16 would scratch the screen at the point that the spacebar would contact the screen, and Apple finally replaced it after 6 months of whining at their doorstep. So I feel for you, and hopefully you can get this issue resolved. Good Luck. :cool:

13. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

My first MacBook (the first revision) emitted a little buzz. It turned out to be a faulty inverter board. Apple replaced it and all was well again.

14. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

My MacBook makes no noise at all unless it us under serious load. I only use it for school so that almost never happens since Microsoft Word is not that big. But if i am running Garage Band and iTunes and Safari it will spin the fans allot but thats it.