Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oledb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
Hi guys!

I'm a bit confused here, I installed SL on my macbook from mid-2007. When I looked at activity monitor it shows (Intel 64-bit) behind some programs. How can this be? I installed it the regular way and didn't change anything :s

Also since SL my battery drains much faster, it also says 'replace soon' under the battery menu. Any chance Applecare will fix this (im at 325 cycles?

Thanks for any help..

For a screenshot of activitymonitor see link below
http://twitpic.com/gf8u6

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
The 64-bit after those applications is because they have been re-written and available in 64-bit mode. In order to load the 64-bit kernel to take advantage of them, you need to re-start your MacBook holding down the 6 and 4 keys. Otherwise those programs are still running in 32-bit. Be aware that using 64-bit mode may effect some older printer drivers that aren't compatible.

The battery thing is unknown. Check with Apple.

-GDF

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
The 64-bit after those applications is because they have been re-written and available in 64-bit mode. In order to load the 64-bit kernel to take advantage of them, you need to re-start your MacBook holding down the 6 and 4 keys. Otherwise those programs are still running in 32-bit. Be aware that using 64-bit mode may effect some older printer drivers that aren't compatible.

-GDF

No MacBook is able to boot into the 64-bit Kernel Mode whatever you do, it's a waste of time trying.

oledb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009

-GDF

Thank you both for the info! Applecare won't replace the battery since its not broken but 'used' :mad:
Gonna buy a new one on ebay.

jiiikoo

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
-GDF
No! Applications that show "64 bit" are 64bit, even though you're not running the kernel in 64bit mode...

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006

-GDF
Wrong. Any applications that show "Intel (64-bit)" are 64-bit processes and are running as such. Only his kernel is still 32-bit, which isn't much of a detriment at all.

greatmaju

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
A Little place i Call Terra
Bill gates and jiiikoo are correct (Correct + Gates in the same sentence :p)

However. I thought that the macbook you had have a 32EFi and couldn't run anything in 64-bit. Or can you run stuff in 64-bit but haven't got the kernel?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Running 64-bit apps and a 64-bit kernel are two totally separate issues.

Any Mac with a 64-bit processor can run 64-bit apps and take advantage of all the benefits of said 64-bitness (apps can claim more than 2GB of RAM for itself, 64-bit instruction codes, etc.). This happens regardless of which kernel you're runing.

As of now, only certain Macs can run the 64-bit kernel for access to greater than 32GB of hardware RAM (or some such number than mere mortals have no good use for) and a few other features that wont impact 99.5% of users.

What are the benefits of running a 32-bit kernel? Ability to use hardware drivers like for printers, scanners, RAID cards, audio cards, mice & keyboards that require special drivers, TV tuner cards/USB dongles and the like.

If you don't need any of that, then go ahead and run a 64-bit kernel. But until all that stuff is rewritten for a 64-bit kernel, Apple is right to default to the 32-bit kernel.

As for the OP's battery problem, if recalibrating the battery and resetting your Mac's power management unit doesn't help, try taking it to an Apple genius and ask for a replacement. If it's less than a year old and really isn't holding much of a charge, they will likely replace it for you.

oledb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
As for the OP's battery problem, if recalibrating the battery and resetting your Mac's power management unit doesn't help, try taking it to an Apple genius and ask for a replacement. If it's less than a year old and really isn't holding much of a charge, they will likely replace it for you.

Thanks for the answers about the 64-bit issue!

Recalibrated my battery and now my battery is suddenly at 80%!
Already ordered a new one though because Apple wouldn't replace it (macbook is 28 months old) so now I have a spare one :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.