MacBook cannot connect to some wifi

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by majoorpa, Oct 17, 2010.

1. majoorpa macrumors newbie

I am a new Mac user with a new Mac book pro. The Mac was connecting to wifi until today. Today I added another wifi connection through mifi hauwaei modem. Since then I cannot connect to my old wifi access point. It connects but not getting the Internet or get to the router using 192.168.2.1. I can still connect to my mifi. My iPhone, iPad and other laptops can connect to my old access point with out any issues. I use zyxel router as my old access point. If anybody have experienced similar issues? Or any solutions please help.

2. Riverrun macrumors regular

Hi Majoorpa,

I don't think this is a very big problem. I have a MacBook Pro and ocasionally, I have the same issue.

It comes down to DNS, usually. Your DNS server has changed because logged in to another service.

System Preferences> Network>Advanced. Click on the DNS tab and add the old server address.

If you don't know the address, your ISP Service people will tell you.

3. majoorpa thread starter macrumors newbie

Adding dns did not solve the problem

Thanks for responding. Adding DNS to network preferences did not solve the problem. Any help would be very much appreciated.

4. majoorpa thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved

I have no idea after all these days, it is solved now I am able to access my wifi. The networking diagnostics queried whether to change the settings or not when I opened up my networking diagnostics for which I clicked yes. Then it started working. I wonder why networking diagnostics ask that in the first place several times before when I tried it. Anyway it seems to working alright now and I am quite happy.

5. Riverrun macrumors regular

Ha! Glad you got it working. I imagine the problem was DNS related and that Mac restored a valid DNS address.

Should you ever run into the problem again, try this:

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu -> Go to Folder
    2. type: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
    3. Press enter
    4. Search for the following file: com.apple.airport.preferences.plist and when it appears move it to the Desktop
    5. Reboot and Mac will create a new "com.apple.airport.preferences.plist" in the SystemConfiguration folder.

Turn on Airport and away you go.