Macbook - Can't Believe It!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MaestroMike, Sep 17, 2012.

1. MaestroMike macrumors newbie

Well I still can't believe it but I got a sweet gift. A friend of mine bought a new Macbook Pro and so I inherited her Macbook. It runs pretty good as is but I have an upgrade plan.

Step 1: I called to get the upgrade disc to Snow Leopard (10.6). Currently I'm at 10.5.8.
    Step 2: Upgrade to Mt. Lion
    Step 3: Upgrade the 2Gb of Ram to 4Gb.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

3. MaestroMike thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the best way to figure that out so I give you correct information. I see in Get Info that its model is MacBook 5,1. Does that help?

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

That's a nice machine you've got there. Stick an SSD in it, and upgrade the RAM, and you've got a usable computer for years to come.

5. MaestroMike thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay that is something i was just reading about in another thread. How can I add a Solid State Drive? Does it just replace my current harddrive and what size do you reco?

Thanks for all the help peeps!

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Yep, it just replaces your current drive. It's a pretty simply operation. Here's an iFixit guide.

As far as size goes, I recommend whatever you need to hold all of your current data, plus a bit more for good measure. Very scientific stuff, here.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Second the SSD. It's going give you noticeable differences.

Go for 8GB RAM too if the model can handle it - it's only like $35.

8. MaestroMike thread starter macrumors newbie

Quick Question on SSD .... is there any compatibility issues btw 3Gb/s or 6Gb/s?

9. CatsTide macrumors 6502

10. MaestroMike thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Cats .. I'm pumped. I've been wanting one for a looooong while.

11. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

6Gb/s (SATA III) will work in a 3Gb/s (SATA II) interface.

12. MaestroMike thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the questions but i'm new to Mac. Happily so even. So the question is that it won't be any faster than 3Gb/s even if i have a drive that is 6?

13. MaestroMike thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been reading that i can possibly go to 8Gb of Ram. Would it be worthwhile to do that or stay w/ my plan to get to 4Gb.

14. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Upgrade to 8GB 1333Mhz and put an SSD. That thing will scream. ;)
    Trust me, i have the same Macbook like you but with a 7200RPM HDD and it's pretty fast for a 2008 computer. I think the machine will be twice as fast with an SSD.

15. SC54HI macrumors member

SC54HI

Would these upgrades also work for my 2008 MacBook 4,1? It still works pretty well although it's getting a bit slow. Would love to add some software like Lightroom & Photoshop but suspect they'd be too much for it in its current state.

Also, I am most definitely NOT going to do any hardware upgrade myself so are these things that can be done at your average Genius Bar for not a lot of money & in a reasonable amount of time?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

16. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

I still have one of those models lying around. The first aluminium MacBook and the last one.

Is it the 2.0Ghz or the 2.4Ghz model? Because the 2.4Ghz has backlit keyboard!
    Yes, back in the day it was optional.

Here's what I did to my machine (base line2.0Ghz December 2008 model):

- Upgraded Ram to 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1333Mhz RAM. The machine comes with 1067Mhz RAM, but 1333MHz works and gets detected.

- 120GB Vertex 3 SSD. This makes the machine scream. Running the latest version of Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

- I implemented a backlit keyboard myself. Because the logic board has the connection for one, so I could get the little transparent backlight piece and put in underneath the keys (this requires taking the machine apart completely).

- I have putten a 13" MacBook Pro screen on the machine.

So, the machine looks like the current 13" MacBook Pro and seems just as quick. And this one has a removable battery which is handy.

I suggest you go for the first 2 upgrades. I just got a water damaged 2010 MacBook Pro machine so I could do the other upgrades.