Macbook--Can't format or mount HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by notmymac, Jul 1, 2010.

1. notmymac macrumors member

Ok..So I have a Macbook (please dont ask model etc..I dont know..its a friends) that was running Tiger...One day it failed..again don't know why..A new install of Tiger was attempted and failed..

When I received it the Tiger disk was still in it and I was told it was stuck. After many hours this is what I have come up with...

1) After many many minutes,..it WILL boot to the Tiger disk

2) I can see the HDD in Disk Utility and I can format it and name it

3) I cannot mount the HDD in Disk Utility

4) I went to single user mode and used the /sbin/fsk command..This only looks at the Tiger Install disk

5) In Disk Utility the error I receive (off the top of my head) is something to do with an underlying failure and the error contains no other specifics

6) So basically Disk Utility cannot either verify or repair either the disk itself or the volume underneath the disk..

So, I am from a hardcore PC background...In single user mode I was completely lost even trying to Google UNIX commands...Much different than what I am used to. My challenge at this point is simple. All I want to be able to do is simply mount the disk either in single user mode or through Disk Utility so that I can reinstall Tiger and make this MacBook functional again.

What I am deathly afraid of and suspect is true is that somehow there is a hardware error either on the drive controller or the drive itself. In the PC world if I can "see" a drive to format it..I can rescue it...Here I am not so sure. The data on the drive (or that used to be on the drive) is of absolutely no concern to me. Could care less. Just want to get to a place that I can work with the drive again so that I can get Tiger on it..

Hopefully this provides enough info for someone far more advanced than me on Macs or Unix to be able to suggest a solution. I have tried Googling but to be honest don't even know what I am googlin for..LOL..I will take links, articles, any suggestions at all gratefully...

Peace and thank you in advance for any help whatsoever...

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Sounds like a physical hardware failure of the drive, since if Disk Utility cant recover it, theres a good chance its broken. However changing the HD is rather simple on Macbooks, all you need to do, having bought a compatible drive, is remove the battery, remove the little "L" bracket inside there and replace the drive.

3. notmymac thread starter macrumors member

No freaking way? REALLY? I looked at the bottom of that thing, saw three little screws and wondered to myself how the hell do they work on these things? Looks pretty but awful hard to work on.

I have torn apart a million PC laptops and this is one of the first in years that actually terrified me when I looked at it...

Thanks for the tip!!!

Any one else have any ideas on how to rescue the drive thats in there?