Macbook can't handle a 1080p MKV video file :(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hierobryan, May 15, 2008.

1. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to play an 8GB 1080p MKV video file on my Macbook (see sig) using the VLC video player, but the video comes out very choppy. I've been downloading this video for about a month now and I really want to watch it. What can I do to make it playable? I already checked "hurry up" in VLC's preferences, but it didn't help anything. Maybe I can use a better video player? Or somehow decrease the video quality using some video editing/converting software?

2. bentoms macrumors regular

BuyVisualHub & convert the file to a quicktime compatible format & see if that helps.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Wouldn't just downloading the trial do the trick? :rolleyes:

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If it still hasnt fully downloaded then it will be choppy because there are parts of it missing. i.e. there are holes in it.

If it has finished downloading then it could be that the file is corrupt. Or what I find is the problem most of the time is that VLC is just plain poo. Others will argue this but I am going on MY experience of using VLC. While its good at opening pretty much anything I find it struggles to play pretty much anything. Throwing up errors all over the place.

I only use VLC as a last resort and only to transcode obscure file formats to Quicktime friendly stuff.

If you have no other program that can open it to check if it is corrupt or VLC acting up try transcoding it using VisualHub or something and see if it is still not working. If its not working when transcoded to say MP4 then you know the file is a dud and it wasn't VLCs fault.

An 8GB file will take ages to transcode so set it going leave it for half an hour so it has at least converted something then cancel the process. You should be able to tell in Quicktime that the resulting file is good or not.

The trial version of VisualHub only allows two minutes conversions!

5. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

get perian, let it buffer the video in quicktime, then play. why would you want a 1080p video on a macbook anyways. its native resolution is 800 pixels which ~720. you're missing over half the pixels when you watch it in 1080p.

6. Matek macrumors 6502a

It could be that the MacBook just isn't capable of playing this file without glitches really. Besides unless you're using an external display capable of showing a FullHD resolution, Bonsai has a point.

7. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Use QT with Perian & let it load up then watch without any choppiness & click fullscreen mode to see everything, thats what I do although I prefer 720p due to file sizes & I can't tell the difference between them.

Also never convert them to .Mp4 use QT Pro & passthrough as in VisualHub you lose loads of quality that you can notice.

Northy

8. The General macrumors 601

Believe me, if it's slow in VLC, it will be slower in QuickTime.:D

Just download 720p MKVs. Your MacBook has a 1280x800 display, no need for 1920x1080 unless you plug into an HDTV or external monitor with that high of a resolution. :)

9. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Believe me I download both & I can't tell the difference in speed when it starts up in VLC or QT just QT is more stable for playing 1080p than VLC.

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Why did you download it in 1080p when the macbook is 720p lol.

And to a degree to play 1080p content you need a capable video card, which the macbook does not have.

11. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

In MKV it doesn't matter if you have integrated or crappy display it still looks great.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Chances are high that you have downloaded a torrent, chances are the file is:

- extremely fragmented (since it's a large file, typically Mac OS writes it the correct way, but your torrent app didn't, so you need to defrag the file) If you have room, make a duplicate of the file and try that.
    - incomplete or damaged
    - poorly encoded

I would say #1

13. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

duh, I know that. It was the only resolution the video was available in (pirate bay).

14. The General macrumors 601

This is just a cluster**** of ignorance. Wow.

15. Calculon macrumors newbie

Calculon

This worked for me

I had the same issue.
    I found that changing a preference in VLC provided smooth playback.

Go to Preferences (⌘,) click All preferences in the bottom left corner.
    - select Input/Codecs, then within that, Access modules, and finally within that, File.
    - change the Caching value (ms) to 800.

Attached Files: