Macbook can't mount external HD, help please!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by momofrenzie, Mar 30, 2009.

1. momofrenzie macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I've tried searching the net and this forum about this. I have a Macbook on OS X and I have a Seagate USB external hard drive which is about less than a year old. It's been working fine all this while until about a week ago when my friend unplugged it without ejecting. Usually when this happens, I'll still be able to see it on my desktop after plugging it in again. But this time it doesn't!

I've reseted my PRAM, shut down my Macbook, unplugged everything and then plugging it again but nothing works. I can hear the HD spinning and the light glows but it just doesn't show up on my desktop.

It shows up on Disk Utility, when I run repairs it just says that it's ok. But when I click the mount button it says to run First Aide when First Aide already says it's verified ok. I tried using Terminal to mount it but it still doesn't work.

I've also tried using my friend's Macbook with my external HD but same results.

Someone please help. I have files in it that I don't want to lose :( Thank you.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What kind of seagate drive is it? If it's a Barracuda then there have been lots of problems with those. You should try Techtool Pro or Diskwarrior to see if those can do anything.

3. momofrenzie thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a 500GB Seagate Desktop, not the Barracuda one.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

5. momofrenzie thread starter macrumors newbie

Will try those 2 out. But how do I get them? Sorry if this question sounds stupid. :(

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If your machine is under AppleCare you can download Techtool here. Diskwarrior you'd have to buy.

7. momofrenzie thread starter macrumors newbie

I've installed Techtool. However, my external HD does not appear on it? The only volume that appears under 'Volume' is my 'Macintosh HD'. Does that mean that Techtool has failed to detect my external HD?

Thank you so much for your help!:eek:

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, it also probably means your drive is dead.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Actually, it probably doesn't. What it may well mean is that the partition has been corrupted. You may have to format it. Do you have anything important on the drive?

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Ok sure, but if Techtool doesn't recognize it, how are you going to mount it to reformat?

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You have to unmount a drive prior to formatting. There's no problem with formatting a drive that won't mount, so long as it's readable/writeable. A drive that won't unmount presents a challenge, but it's not the issue here.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Actually in the process of this thread I forgot that Disk Utility recognizes it :( So I am wrong/a moron- your drive probably isn't dead, and reformatting shouldn't be that much of an issue. Data recovery is a different story though.

13. momofrenzie thread starter macrumors newbie

So that means I can't do anything to recover what I have on the drive? I have lots of pictures that I store on the drive that I'll really feel sad to see it go if I have to reformat it.

I've email Seagate about the problem and they've suggested that I mail them my drive to their nearest facility. And they've estimated that it'll cost USD$700 - $1700 for them to recover my files! That is A LOT of money! :(

14. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Data recovery is expensive, no matter who you ask. Seagate's price tag sounds about right. You could try buying a recovery app, which are pricey themselves but may help you out.

And next time... backup? ;)

15. momofrenzie thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I see. That's sad to hear. Is DW a recovery app?

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Try Data Rescue II. The trial will tell you if it can recover anything, so you can use that to decide whether or not to buy it.

17. momofrenzie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! I'll try it out and let you know the results.

18. momofrenzie thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I just got Data Rescue and it's in the process of recovering my stuff. Seems to be working great at the moment! Thanks for all the help!;)