Macbook cant 'see' Airport Express over Wireless Network.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by item, Jul 16, 2008.

1. item macrumors newbie

Firstly the setup.
    DSL Modem connected to Linksys Wireless Router.
    One Airport Express for airtunes, wireless to Linksys.
    My Macbook, wireless to linksys.
    Flatmates Laptops, wireless to linksys.

Secondly the problem:
    I cant get my Macbook to 'see' the airport express via wireless.
    When the Macbook is wired to wireless router it is fine. Kinda defeats the purpose though....

Any help or "we've already discussed this in THIS thread:mad:" appreciated.
    T.

2. heppy macrumors member

i may be wrong in this but here's how it works with an with the airport base station and how i set it up this weekend.

Firstly, reset your Airport Express by pushing it the little button till the lights flash a few times.

Disconnect from your linksys router and then after the AE has rebooted connect to that, it'll be called 'Airport Express xxxxx'.

Next, open up Airport Utility which should find the Airport Express and simply follow the setup instructions telling it you wish to connect to an existing Wireless network.

once that's done simply open up itunes, select the speakers you wish to route to at the bottom of the window and it should work.

It did for me anyway...

3. item thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Heppy.
    Unfortunately I dont think the issue is in the basic setup.
    I think I'm after some instruction from someone who understands the tech inner workings of the router....

4. heppy macrumors member

Actually, I don't think you do need to know the inner workings of the router.

This is how someone else did it....hope it helps.

I'd definitely consider resetting your AE first.

Good luck

5. item thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I'm in need of more than luck.

The airport express has joined the correct network, I can see it when I plug my macbook into the linksys, even if I have done the setup wirelessly.
    Its as if the linksys wont pass data back and forth between the airport express and the macbook. Also thinking about it I dont think I've ever managed to transfer data to or from flatmates laptops via wireless either.
    Cheers.
    T.

EDIT: Turns out I needed persistence not luck. The issue was in the wireless router, setting AP Isolation was enabled by default.
    Now to find out what I broke 'hard resetting' the wireless and get my flatmates laptop get more than 'limited connectivity'. Uh oh.