Macbook Care Thread

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by arctic, Jun 19, 2008.

1. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

I've been reading tons about Crackbooks and most of the posts are about the ease or difficulty of replacing them at the Apple stores or local dealers. On the other hand, why dont we make a thread on measures you guys take to avoid this problem and other problems as well. Is closing your Macbooks as tenderly as you can and carryng it from the back/hinge part enough?

I wanted to try clear cases but I'm kinda scared from reports of these hard cases scratching the books.

Buy a good sleeve. I heard dark colored Neoprene sleeves may discolor the white Macbooks so make sure you find light colored ones if you want to go neoprene.

Then, buy a skin/sticker and palmguard. Also protects from discoloration and scratches (wrist watches and long sleeve buttons). Right now I am considering Garskin. Love the Lifestream one :D.

[​IMG]

How about you guys? How do you take care of your Books?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I've never believed in babying my Macbook. No palmguards, no handrests, none of that stuff.

I had a sleeve earlier, but stopped using it when I got my backpack, which has a laptop slot.

Since it's summer, I use it around the house now. I have a small magazine that I slip between
    the keyboard and screen whenever I close the laptop, so it closes gently. Had the laptop for
    six months now, and no cracks yet.

3. priller macrumors regular

Same here, I use a sleeve if I'm taking it somewhere but that's all. Got 3 years warranty so I'm not really bothered about it getting damaged, still looks mint after 4 months use.

4. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

I take great care of my Apple MacBook. I don't use any shell and it's a real shame that one would have too! Apple needs to fix this cracking issue once and for all! Hopefully there will soon be a case change. Under "normal" usage people should not have too worry about their plastic cases cracking. It's just absurd!

5. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

I hardly close mine, thats how I get around the cracking issue. Also have a red neoprene case with black insides which so far hasn't discolored the casing (cross fingers).
    Anyway the next macbook revision should rectify the current design faults.

6. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

incase/iSkin

i want to get an incase hardshell for my macbook, only to use sometimes when im working and have my laptop with me, but incase only ship to u.s adresses, any idea where you can get one from the u.k or ireland at the same price as from the states? otherwise ill have to ship it to a friend, which is a pain in the a$$!

on another not, i want to get an iSkin keyboard protector, im sick of stuff getting around the keys! but they want to charge me $19 to ship it??? its a flat rubber pad....i mean, if crucial can ship me 2gb of ram for $7 then how can a palm guard be $19? so basically, same question as above for iSkin too!

on the care note,is that iKlear stuff any good for cleaning the outside of the blackbook? can it be used on the screen?

cheers folks!

:):apple::)

7. jerkjosh macrumors newbie

I got one of those *anti-shock* foam sleeves from eBay. in the sleeve I keep the apple cloth. I also use the foam slit that comes with your macbook to slip between the LCD and keyboard when closing.

When I use it, it's just the bare macbook, no protection. I feel hesitant to uglify it with any extras.

8. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

I just recently bought the InCase hardshell, and I love it. I've started closing it just a little gentler since getting the palm rest repaired, but other than that, I don't worry too much about it. I handle it like I would any portable electronic device (except my cell phone, that piece of junk just gets chucked all over the place). I do clean it every couple of weeks, blow out the keyboard with canned air, clean smudges off the screen, and take a toothpick to the area between the hinge and the screen.