Macbook care?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by futureswitcher, Jun 21, 2008.

1. futureswitcher macrumors member

futureswitcher

Just got my new macbook and free iPod touch this morning, and so far i LOVE it!

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some good advice on when to run the battery, when to shut down, etc.

i.e. Should I shut down my macbook overnight?
    Should I keep it plugged in as much as possible?
    Should I leave it plugged in when it is shut down and fully charged?
    Should I only sync my iPod when the battery is low?
    What if I want to sync my calenders, etc when it doesn't need charged?
    If i sync, should I let it charge fully, or is it ok to disconnect when it's done syncing?
    ....etc..

any advice on this type of macbook care (or any other good tips!) is greatly appreciated!

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Here ya go:

3. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I usually unplug the magsafe from the wall just as a precaution because it gets a bit warm. So I would suggest that. Other then that, its safe to keep it plugged in.

4. futureswitcher thread starter macrumors member

futureswitcher

thanks...but

thanks for the tips guys, but doesn't anyone else have any ideas to share?

I was hoping we could start a nice thread about how to properly care for macbooks!

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I have one: Dont bring any drinks near your laptop. There have been too many threads around here about, spilling, water, tea, soda, vitamin-water and even vomit. ;)

6. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

It's true - I found out the hard way that Apple computers are not immune to apple *juice*!

7. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

While I don't eat nor drink at my work table. Not so much as to protect my MacBook (since it's on notebook stand) as to protect my books/paper copies.

I used to leave mine on sleep mode every night, but after I noticed that it came out of sleep mode during the night, I decided to shutdown completely every night. I also unplug the MacSafe connector. That's just me, but I don't want to take any risk. I worked hard to pay for the house, and am still working hard for it as a matter of fact. I don't a fire to ruin everything.

Again, that's just me. I have a small OCD...okay, I admit a huge OCD.