Macbook case cracked: can US stores change it to a German keybord?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cvahl, Jan 21, 2008.

1. cvahl macrumors member

Hi,
    the case of my white Macbook which I have for only about 3 months and which I handled with extreme care (people started already to make fun of me... ;) )has cracked right where the small piece of plastic from the display bezel comes to rest on the top case when closed.

I read that this would be a known problem, and that it could be fixed by replacing the whole keyboard. Since I'll move to Germany in a few months, where I'll need a German keyboard for the special characters, I was wondering if it would be possible to chose a German keyboard when I bring it to my local Apple store in Boston for the repair. Probably, they won't have German keyboards in store, but does anybody know if they can order them, or will they just put it the same keyboard type that has been installed before?

I don't wanna get it replaced in Germany, because they don't have Apple stores over there, so I would have to send it away and live without it for 2 weeks...

Thanks for any kind of help!

2. Melan macrumors regular

I tried to replace my UK macbook keyboard in Canada, saying I didn't mind if it was a Canadian one. They told me they're not allowed to do that and that a UK keyboard replacement would probably take a few weeks to come in.
    It's worth calling an apple store about it.

3. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

It's difficult to say. I would imagine they could at least order one, but policies like that can be weird. If you're willing to learn a little, you can use the special characters with a US keyboard, it would just take a little memorization on the combinations.