MacBook Case cracking problems (Still covered out of warranty?)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mgartner0622, Dec 6, 2010.

1. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Hello,

I have a 2.4GHz Black MacBook that has the case cracking issue by the palmrest. The arrow keys have also stopped working.
    Would this be covered even though the unit is out of warranty? I have heard there is a case extension for cracking MacBooks, would my model count because it is black?

Thank you.

2. bbydon macrumors 6502a

They fixed mine out of warranty. I would go in and be nice. If they say no, then pull out printed copies of the discussion forums where it is happening everywhere.

I didn't have to go that far they just fixed it no problem.

3. tylersjaw macrumors newbie

Any luck with getting your Macbook repaired? I just noticed a crack in mine last night. I baby my Macbook and couldn't believe it. A lot of the finish where the top part of the case meets the bottom is starting to peel too.

4. DocStrange macrumors newbie

I had the same issue by the palmrests. They fixed mines under warranty, though it seemed common enough at the time (this was Dec 09) that the Apple store guy did it without really asking about Apple Care coverage.

It was fixed in about 10 minutes flat.

5. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I took my cracked white MacBook to my Apple Store yesterday and they fixed it... no questions asked. I don't live near the store, so they are shipping it back to me sometime tomorrow. From what the Genius told me, it's under Apple's Quality Assurance program (or something like that). My MacBook is a Mid 2007 model that has been out of warranty for almost 3 years, so I'm sure you should have no problems getting it fixed.

6. JohnBossu macrumors member

some stores do charge for this service if your macbook is out of warranty, I live in Amsterdam and they will be happy to fix this common problem for free, but a friend lives in Delft charged around 100 euro for it tho Im think he was being ripped off by the guy who works there

7. ApexBoost macrumors member

I had no problem getting my old Macbook fixed as well when it was out of warranty, couldn't really ask for any better customer service.

8. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

I had a white Macbook that was new in mid-2008 (although it sat in the box until July of 2009 and was cracked within a couple of months of opening it), and the top case was repaired for free under the "Quality Assurance" program in October of 2010. I had accidentally forgotten to buy Apple Care before the one-year deadline, so it was not under warranty.

The top case was basically the grey part that mainly comprises the palm rest (grey on the white ones, anyway).

My computer also had numerous dark-colored hairline type cracks on the bottom case (around the edges near the top case, mostly), but that apparently is not covered under any program. The fellow at the Genius Bar said I must have been picking up my computer "too hard" or grabbing it wrong. In actuality, I'm very gentle with it, have a fairly weak grip, and the cracks were clearly not caused by gripping anyway. Other than that one "genius" though, everyone else was very pleasant (still only the top case repaired though; I had originally understood they were going to repair all of the cracked parts, is how the aforementioned conversation came up).

I actually would not have known about this "QA program" if I had not taken the computer in for another reason.
    Miss Terri

9. EazyWeazy3 macrumors 6502

Mine cracked.

I didn't get it replaced. It's whatever imo.

10. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    wow, this is all good to hear. I have a late 2007 mb model and I've already had my palm rest replaced once due to cracking (back when it was under warranty). Both sides have cracked yet again (actually it happened about a year ago) and I didn't think to bring it in since my applecare was gone.

This is especially good, because I'm probably going to try to sell the thing within a year and a cracked computer is a much more difficult sell. Especially because discoloration occurs on the palmrest.

So will Apple continue to replace them forever or when would they stop?

PS. do the current white macbooks still have this problem, and if not, when did Apple fix them?

PPS. did all of you make genius appointments ahead of time for the issue or just bring in your macbook?