Macbook case? - (HELP) -

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Josh-, Dec 1, 2007.

1. -Josh- macrumors regular

Hi guys -
    Is it wise to help protect your Macbook by giving it some kind of harder shell? I bought a bag for it, but should I get a Case? and if so, what kind? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh

2. DaveTurnbull macrumors member

I don't think one is completely necessary, but just check out eBay and you should be able to get a decently priced one.

3. eman macrumors 6502a

I use a soft case with memory foam for my macbook. Then I put the case in STM bag with more memory foam. I haven't had any problems yet. The memory foams also seems to protect my macbook from minor heat and cold environments.

4. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Can you link me to this memory foam?

5. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I am not so sure if a hard shell (I assume you mean something like the speck case) is necessary if you already own a bag/case for the macbook.
    I personally don't like those cases too much because they make the mb bulkier.
    If you are looking for scratch protection while the macbook is in use I can recommend the invisible shield (my personal review) and for the palmrest area there is nothing better than the moshi palmguards in my opinion.

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i have the ispeck shell for my mbp, It is only meant for scratch prevention. I only have the lower portion on to protect the surface from my belt or other abrasive surfaces I might set it on. It works great. The shell is scratched up and I can only imagine how it would look if it actually made contact with my precious aluminum.

7. roblyh macrumors member

Macally macbook leather protective cover is great. It has a soft cushion outside and the 2 piece shells snap-on very well. Suede inner lining protects your macbook. Check it out, worth the money if you are interested in hard case. www.macally.com

8. eman macrumors 6502a

9. Towhead macrumors regular

When I bought my new SR MB I wanted to get the most reasonable carrying / storage case (computer is home 99% of the time) and store the accessories with it. I ended up buying the incase bag with a flap and pockets ($59 @ Apple.com) and it's quite nice, olive fur inside. I'm glad I got this one instead of the one without the flap ...

But I wouldn't use this bag for a rough school environment. In that case, I would hop over to Microcenter.com and get the moshi codex sleeve; it was clear from all the research that the moshi codex was the best protection for the money, and it lets one work with the computer in the sleeve without having to take it out. There's a very good review on it out there, too. The reviewer comments on some translucent strips that hold the case to the screen portion that passes just below the isight camera ...

Some people swear by the Zeroshock, but I thought their foam was more cheesy than the viscotex used in the codex. $20 is not an unreasonable upgrade for protecting a $1200 computer.

And there's always Tom Bihn, but his bags have tags labeling Bush an idiot (they claim it's referencing Tom Bihn, but we know better, right?) I was considering the braincase but, shoot, what a lame tag that kind of sh*t just pisses me off. In all, aren't we sufficiently indebted to our Gov't for preventing all the terrorist attacks that would have probably hit us if it wasn't for the hard-nosed planning? So what my descendants are gonna help pay for a $2 trillion war, at least they'll be able to!

Good luck on your hunt! I think the incase nylon cases are nice, and the one I got will suffice for my needs .. we are all slaves to our macbooks and the more ardently they are worshipped and babied the better they will behave for us.