MacBook Case - Need Advice Choosing One

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DeusInvictus7, Nov 10, 2008.

1. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Hey guys, just need a little help here...

ive searched and read all of the other case threads, and the have seemed to help me narrow my choices down...so i just need a little help in seeing what you guys think would be the best case.

now, for my criteria, i dont want anything neoprene, or with zippers...so these were basically my choices that the other threads have left me with, and cant really make a decision lol

1. Fabrix Cases

[​IMG]

2. FoofBag

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Wrappers

[​IMG]

4. Black Colcasac - Applesac

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance :)

2. Twilight Elk macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

Well, I would get something that would shield all sides of the MacBook; I've seen some cases where one side is fully or partially exposed (referring to the first three sleeves) and, this is just me, but that would be a risk of scratching or even falling off given an incorrect angle.

I ordered a Black ColoaSac yesterday and I have yet to retrieve it, but I would probably recommend it because it covers the MacBook very well.

3. DeusInvictus7 thread starter macrumors 68020

yeah i know what you mean, but this sleeve is just going to be for protecting my notebook from my messenger bag...

hmm...i love all of the cases, but im probably just going to have to bite the bullet and go with one...

4. Twilight Elk macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

Ah. I bought the AppleSac for a similar reason (ya, to protect from my messenger bag, but also to show off to my hippie friends, lol).

Of course it is your choice; my choice was the AppleSac :)

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I don't understand why people keep buying these case things. When my MacBook is at home it sits on a shelf ready for use. I don't need a case for that. When I take it to University I put it into my laptop bag, which has a pocket for the computer. I don't need an additional case around it for that.

Why not just buy a larger back for daily use which also has a laptop pocket?

6. DeusInvictus7 thread starter macrumors 68020

i do have larger bag to put it in, but its a pretty generic messenger bag that my manager gave me, and even though it has a dedicated laptop pocket, im not too sure if its the best thing to just put my macbook in there naked...thats why im looking into these sleeves...

7. DeusInvictus7 thread starter macrumors 68020

ok well i have made my decision, i have decided to order a Foofbag...now i just have to wait forever seeing as its on 1 week backorder, and the shipping takes a long time regardless...ill post my experiences with it once i get it

EDIT: DANG IT! ive hit another road block, i saw some more sleeves that i like...wow, i hate shopping lol

8. timestoby macrumors 6502

that wrappers one looks good,but the others i think anyone can make lol.

9. DeusInvictus7 thread starter macrumors 68020

haha yeah, well all of them ARE handmade...but ive also been looking at simonandcleo.com, they have some pretty neat designs, and are based in Toronto, so delivery would be about a day after it ships...so im leaning towards them now...

heres a pic from them of the design i really like:

[​IMG]

or this one

[​IMG]

now the only thing im worried about is if it fits the new aluminum macbooks, so i have emailed them, and i should get a response tomorrow...

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I like that black one you posted just above, but before seeing that I still leaned towards the foof. That tsunami is nice. I have a foof for my iPhone and like it. It doesn't take as long as you would think with getting it from Australia. But the backorder does suck. I would still vote for the foof though that other one is nice too. I just ordered a MobileEdge.com slipsuit sleeve. It is neoprene with zippers. The zippers are designed with a protective band to eliminate scratching. It also has an outer pocket good for the power adapter, a mouse, and cd or some paper if need be. All of which is a nice benefit for me as I will only carry the sleeve. Plus it has a looped handle on the side to carry it by rather than holding it. But again I don't use a messenger or backpack style bag, though I imagine on trips I may slide the sleeve into one.

EDIT: I have heard a lot of people worried/mention do new cases fit the new MacBooks etc. The length and width dimensions should be identical. The length of the unibody is listed as .02 inches longer, even though in cm it is the same. If you can find .02 inches, be my guest. The only real change is the thickness. The white/blackbooks are 1.08 inches or 2.75 cm thick while the unibody are .95 inches or 2.41 cm. That's a difference of .13 or 1/8 of an inch or .34 cm, less than 3.5 mm. For some sleeves that are open, like foofs, it could cause them to slide out, and foof has already adjusted their cases to fit. For anything with velcro, zippers, or any other sort of flap closure, you will never notice the difference.

11. DeusInvictus7 thread starter macrumors 68020

yeah, that black one i recently posted is the one i want, so if the people email me back and it seems to fit fine, then ill go for it...but i was looking at the size specs for their 13" cases, and they seem perfect for the older gen for the thickness, so im worried that it might slip out...so if the end up not fitting right, ill probably go for the foof

EDIT: So i got the email back from them, and they do fit, since they just added the option for the new macbooks! im excited, im going with the simon and cleo case.

12. DeusInvictus7 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok i just wanted to add something...the staff at simon and cleo are AWESOME! they get back to every email i send, and are very nice. i forgot to add a free item that they had on promotion, and they added it for me! and when i saw that, i looked at the other designs, and asked if they could possibly swap it out for the design that i preferred, and they actually did it! and this was all within a day, i ordered it at around 3 PM, went those changes, and it still shipped within 12 hours...amazing. they have great guys at simon and cleo...would highly recommend them to anyone that is looking at sleeves from a customer service point of view, but of course, it all comes down to the actual product...so once i get the sleeve, ill post my impressions with it and a quick review...

13. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

For me, at least, the answer to this question is that I have numerous different bags for different purposes. I have a laptop bag with a dedicated sleeve, but at other times, I carry a messenger-type bag. In those instances, I like having a separate sleeve to protect the computer.

Also, at home, there are times I put the MB in the sleeve when it's sitting on a desk, in case of unforseen events with little kids running around.