Macbook casing cracks.. 3times now.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pranavss11, Sep 25, 2009.

1. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

I have had a Macbook for about 16 months now, and I have had to suffer through the casing cracks on the front and also on the bottom casings.

My computer is on my desk connected to a monitor, keyboard, mouse 99% of the time.

What is the limit here? Who do I complain to? This is extremely frustrating (Yes my computer is under apple care).

I do not live with my parents anymore and I am a Software Engineering major, so this computer is pretty much my life line. (I've had hard drive replacement, power adapter replacements, Macbook casing replacement 2 times already and they ordered the part at apple store now). I cannot afford the 3-5 days downtime everytime.. What do I do?

These guys should really put a sign for buyers saying that THIS LAPTOP SUFFERS COSMETIC DAMAGE. How can they get away with this?!

Sorry for the rant.
    X

2. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

I have the same problem, and mine isn't even under applecare :(

I'm just ignoring it, and silently deducting points from Apples design quality. My next laptop will be a MBP for exactly this reason, and I will get Applecare - which I intend to use as much as I can! Hopefully my crackbook will still be alive so I can use it when the Big Boy is in the shop twice a year :|

3. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

i also had a june 2008 white macbook. after 2 hard drive repairs, dead pixels, and a bad usb port, i convinced my apple store to replace my macbook with the high end 2.4 ghz aluminum macbook. if you purchased your mac in a retail store, speak with your manager and politely give him/her an ultimatum (the next time my computer breaks, regardless of the issue, i expect a new one) emphasize the amount of repairs your laptop has gone through, and how fed up you're getting, but be nice.

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

You need to modify the machine.

Get rid of the magnets that snap it closed. Or replace the bezel.

the bezel has those horizontal line shaped protrusions. They are very fine. Behind them sits a huge magnet.

This creates a hammer. Everytime you close the machine, fine plastic with force is hammering the palmrest.

A shard of plastic touching your skin doesn't cut it. And hitting your hand with a pill bottle really hard doesn't cut you. But if you hit yourself really hard with a shard of plastic from a cracked pill bottle, you can cut yourself. Only when you combine the two do you have the problem.

Only apple would put huge magnets behind a fine protruding piece of plastic that slam against something just as weak.

Since it's 4 AM, this is the best analogy I can give you: it doesn't matter how many times your boss pays for your car's tires to be replaced if he asks you drive down road full of glass shards everyday. It's going to keep happening. You need to get rid of the glass.

apple products have been made like this since the beginning of time. pioneering the field of easy & convenient to use, sexy, but miserably poor construction and functionality from an engineering standpoint.

5. Chimpy macrumors 6502

Wow, interesting, I never knew that was the cause for the cracks in my Macbook. Very cool, thanks for the info.