Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
This *must* have been discussed before now, but seemingly not for at least six months.

Is there a difference in the durability of the casing between the Late 2009 / Mid 2010 unibody MacBooks and the earlier models, with regards to the infamous hinge cracking, 'bits dropping off the edge of the wrist rest', cracks around ports, etc?

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
My late 2009 Macbook only had a problem with the rubber bottom starting to come off. For awhile Apple stores were replacing the rubber part since this was a known issue.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Cheers Dave. In 2012, here in the UK at least, Apple committed themselves to replacing the base rubber free of charge up to four years after purchase. They might have extended that period, but even if not every Mid 2010 is covered.

A couple of weeks of idle eBay browsing has shown that the bases get fantastically mucky, even on MacBooks which have evidently been well cared for.

Sadly it's also revealed that they hold their value very well. I think I'll be lucky to get a decent 2010 2.4GHz for anything less that £350.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.