Macbook CD DRIVE trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by quikssurfer, Mar 3, 2008.

1. quikssurfer macrumors member

quikssurfer

I'm a recent owner of a MacBook that was apparently "dropped" on the side with the media drive - the previous owner had a dvd in the drive and it is jammed inside. I've tried booting the macbook while holding the trackpad button, the cardboard trick, and others. The dvd is in there for good :( . I need to install parallels but need to boot from the cd that I burned. I have a 12in powerbook that I've been connecting to the macbook by firewire, in order to use the cd drive. Is there a way that I could boot from my powerbooks cd drive from the macbook - by firewire connection?
    Hope this made some sense.

2. quikssurfer thread starter macrumors member

quikssurfer

Nothing?
    What about a way to disable the internal cd/dvd drive and connect to one externally by the same method listed above.

3. jpsalvesen macrumors newbie

Are you sure you can't get it repaired?

Otherwise, you might just get an external USB cdrom unit for not-so-many bucks. You should be able to boot from an external bootable unit if you hold down the ALT key while booting.

4. quikssurfer thread starter macrumors member

quikssurfer

I'm certain I can't afford to get it repaired - it's out of warranty and the case itself is warped - This is why the dvd will not come out - it's hitting an edge of the case when trying to eject.
    I'll try holding the "alt" key and see if it will boot from my powerbooks cd drive by firewire. At work right now so I can't write back to confirm whether this worked or not until later this evening.
    I'll connect the computers together by firewire and restart the powerbook while holding "T" - then i'll restart the macbook while holding "alt". Hopefully this will work.