Macbook CD vs. C2D

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JDMFSeanP, May 22, 2008.

1. JDMFSeanP macrumors regular

I'm looking to get a macbook and I just want to know if I should get a 2.0ghz core duo blackbook for around 600 (the guy will sell me it for that much, not just a random number, also has 2GB RAM, I'd upgrade HD), or go for closer to 1000 and buy a 2.16 ghz core 2 duo version?

I want whichever one would benefit me in the long run and I don't completly know the difference between the two in terms of performance, as I've never owned a macbook, and don't have the money for a new one. I hope to use it for PS and some simple gaming.

Thanks for any help I can get.

BTW, what is the max ram 2.16 ghz version can support?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Get the best you can afford. I believe the C2Ds will take 3 gigs of RAM.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

One thing to consider for in the long run is a warranty. Do either have a warranty available? If your friend has additional Apple Care time left, it can be transferred to you through Apple. -GDF

4. Laco macrumors 6502

If I knew the cheaper one was in good condition i would buy the cheaper one and the money i saved i would use to buy a 24 inch monitor and then I would run the the macbook on that.

5. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I have a MacBook with a 2.0GHz Core Duo. I notice it is not all that much slower then the 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo in my iMac for general day-to-day apps (Office, FireFox, Mail, Finder).

That being said, I am upgrading to a Core 2 Duo unit (MacBook Pro, in this case, but I still would have replaced my CD with a C2D if I stayed with the MacBook line).

The Core 2 Duo is a better architecture, so I recommend spending the extra cash since you will likely see a longer "productive life".