macbook charge no led on when plugged in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexrat1996, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Alexrat1996, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015

Alexrat1996 Suspended

when i plugged in macbook pro to charge the led light was off on the charger.

when plugged in but when i unplugged it and plugged it back it did turn.
    what should i do get the charger replaced by apple or can apple care over the phone replace it?

I waited one minute and the light never came on it only came on when i unplugged it

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm having a hard time reading your post, so I may not be understanding the problem, but mine doesn't turn on right away sometimes. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

The led on magsafe adapter did not turn on i waited one minute and nothing happen but i unplugged it and plugged it back in it did turn on could my charger be defective

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Next time the light doesn't come on right away, just leave it plugged in and walk away. Go get a cup of coffee or read a book for a while. Check it when you're back and see if started charging.

It could be defective, or it could be fine. Does it do it all the time? Does the charger eventually start charging?

5. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

First time it happened once my laptop went down to 13% I decided to plug it and the light didn't turn on MagSafe cord it always turns on when i plug it but it's the first time I let my MacBook drain down to 13 %

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have the same problem where my old 2010 MBP doesn't show charging. I don't know if its the power brick or the Mac. I suspect the power brick because when I plug it into the ACD, the light turns on.

7. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

The light itself on the charger is not part of the charging circuit - it's just an indicator light that can be switched on and off and between green and orange by signals sent back from the MBP on the centre pin. It's frequently possible that the signal gets missed by the IC in the plug and it doesn't turn the light on, but charging continues normally.

Check what the computer actually thinks is happening when the charger is connected - does Activity monitor and the menu bar indicate that the system is charging, even if the light is not on?

The charger brick as a whole outputs a very low voltage when it detects it's not connected to the computer (if you put a multimeter on the pins you'll only see a few volts at most), but the handshake to the MBP switches it into high power mode and puts the voltage to 19 V (at up to 4 or more amps if the load is there from the machine). At this point it sends a signal to the chip in the adapter plug to change the colour of the light.

Possible failure points in this chain: the brick itself, the chip in the magsafe plug, the DC in board on the MBP, the MBP's battery (unlikely, but not impossible).

Check that the pins on the magsafe plug are straight and clean and not pushed in too far (the centre pin should be slightly longer than the outer pins), and that the pads on the magsafe are also clean and undamaged. The centre pin is what controls the light on the plug while the outer pins are the positive and negative terminals of the DC power supply (mirrored, so you can flip the plug over either way).

8. Alexrat1996, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2015

Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

the issue i have might have been fixed by it self

I do have a second plug I purchased from groupon the other one works and my old one now works

9. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I find this happened from time to time on one of the charger i had. If i left it totally unplugged for a random time it would then work on occasions. It was basically a prelude to ultimately failing.