MacBook charger failure

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macguymike, Jul 4, 2011.

1. macguymike macrumors 6502

When I connect my laptop to the AC adapter, the light does not turn on and it does not make a connection unless I fiddle with the cord right next to the connector, and even then sometimes it doesn't work.

Currently I have the cord bent up over the connector and resting under the monitor for it to show up as connected in the menu indicator. And the light still isn't on.

It's seen a fair share of use over the last 3 years but nothing I'd say is really harsh treatment. It practically still looks new.

Is there something that I can do about this, or do I have to bite the bullet and just buy a new one?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like there's a short in the cord. Buying a new one seems to be the best approach.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you are near an Apple store, you could take it in and see if they will replace it for free ... it is worth trying.

4. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I checked on Apple's support site, too, and it looks like its probably a strain-related issue.

Made an appointment for this afternoon. As I mentioned, I'm always careful with it so it's basically new. Fingers crossed for the free replacement, as I can't really afford to buy a new one right now.

5. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

And... failure.

I did get confirmation that there's an issue with my charger, and a suggestion that my battery's been through enough charge cycles to warrant a new one. However, when I asked about a free replacement, I was turned down because it's out of warranty. :(