MacBook Charger for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bov, Nov 21, 2007.

1. bov macrumors 6502

hello,

i was just wondering if it was in any way bad for my MacBook Pro if i were to charge it with a MacBook charger.

i left my MPB charger in my dorm room, and figured it would be alright if i just used the MB charger for it but i just wanted to make sure it would not harm the battery or anything.

Thanks.

2. TimJim macrumors 6502a

the MBP charger on the MB would probobly harm that, but the MB on the MBP shouldnt, it will just take longer to charge.

I dont know this for sure so dont blame me if your MBP goes up in flames or something :p

3. sinistersai4d macrumors member

sinistersai4d

Wrong.. I'm using a Pro charger on my macbook right now (it's my spare and the apple store confirmed that it would work fine even though it's 85W and standard is only 65W)

It's not like its forcing extra power down my macbook's throat.

Also, the MacBook charger WILL charge the macbook pro without a problem, however.. if you are USING the pro than the charger won't provide enough power to charge it and sustain its usage power. SOOOOOoooo if you gotta charge your macbookpro with a macbook charger (65W) than make sure you mbpro is asleep or that the monitor is off otherwise it will be using more juice than it is taking in.

4. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

yes this is correct...:)

no this is wrong...:(

5. bov thread starter macrumors 6502

ah, well thank you for the information

ill make sure to only use the MB charger when i put my MBP to sleep or when shut down :D

6. MoBurkhardt macrumors newbie

I have charged my MacBook Pro with a MacBook charger(first gen before they became thick) in europe - in case the outlet voltage matters.

Now I get strange shutdowns when the battery is low, especial rendering graphic intensive projects.

My Sys Profiler sais this about my battery

Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 4944
    Fully charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 4975

//seems ok so far

Health Information:
    Cycle count: 261
    Condition: Check Battery

//this is worrying me

Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): -1328

//WTF?

Voltage (mV): 12425

So I ran the battery update 1.2 as i checked and the bundle was not installed before, but to no avail.
    I am currently trying to recallibrate my battery, but if this happens everytime I charge with the other charger I'm not gonna do it anymore.

UPDATE!::

OK so it took quite some time to drain the battery, i had to use it, wait for the machine to die, then let it sit some hours, plug it back in, let it die. But I finally got the battery completely empty then i let it sit for five hours like Apple's bat calibration site tells you.

Now I'm charging it back up, the profiler still states "Check Battery"
    but at least the Amperage is positive now.

Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 1509
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 3512

// normal since its empty and charging

Health Information:
    Cycle count: 262

// one up!

Condition: Check Battery

//still?

Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 1598

//seems promising

Voltage (mV): 12104

7. sonofaresiii macrumors newbie

What these people are telling you is wrong: if you use a MB charger on an MBP for an extended period of time you will absolutely damage the MB charger. The MBP will draw too much power from it and eventually will literally burn through it.
    I have an MBP and my roommate has a MB, and before we realized there was a difference we used our chargers interchangeably. The hinge on my laptop's screen broke, so I ended up just leaving it in place as a desktop and leaving it plugged in literally all the time. Eventually, because I was using his MB charger, the charger burned through.
    He had applecare, so I took it in and got it replaced no problem.
    Just thought you should know though, you will damage the charger if you leave it plugged in. if you MUST use a regular MB charger for an MBP, I suggest you only leave it plugged in while necessary and monitor the temperature often.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Kind of. The MBP charger is "both." If you look at the bottom of the charger it reads

So it selects which power output is appropriate to the machine.

You don't need to have the screen off and the machine asleep, you just can't be doing anything that intensive.

This happens not because it draws "too much" power, but because it's at the maximum draw for extended periods of time.

9. sonofaresiii macrumors newbie

Well, obviously. It's impossible to draw more than the maximum. But for the MB charger, or any charger, the "maximum" is in fact too much. If it wasn't too much, the charger wouldn't burn out.

10. MoBurkhardt macrumors newbie

well I don't actually know if anything happened to the MB charger, but I realized my battery is dead, after painfully calibrating the battery it started to swell up(see pic)

i read about the extended battery replacement program and went to my local mac store to get the replacement but they said they had to take my machine in for a checkup first.

So i called apple and they checked my serial no against the database of eligible machines and told me that my machine was just two weeks to old to get the free replacement.

Now I can not 100% tell if the swelling of the battery was due to me charging my MBP with an MB charger because the machine is 30 months old, but it seems quite unlikely for the battery to exhibit such symptoms since it was hardly used before.

Attached Files:

11. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

The swelling had nothing to do with the charging on a wrong charger. It is a defect in material or workmanship. I had a early 2008 macbook pro battery replaced with the same issue. I would take it to the apple store clearly that is a problem with the battery not caused by normal cycling

12. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

A couple things...

I charged my old MBP while using it with a MB charger and it did charge completely.

My other question/comment is that with the new 24 inch LED monitor that has the magsafe for your laptop.... how does that work? Does it differentiate between a MB and MBP then vary the power? I dont feel like that would be the case, but if someone does know for certain please enlighten me.

Thanks

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

It is possible to draw more than the max from a charger. That is when stuff starts smoking and getting hot and what not. And idk why there is need for another thread on this. There is plenty more threads on this for everyone to argue on.

14. MoBurkhardt macrumors newbie

but I called apple and gave them my serial and they said that my specific machine was not among those that had been acknowledged for extended repair.

Should I still try leaving it for some days at my local mac store?

15. Batman101 macrumors member

I once called the apple store asking the same question about my friend's macbook, they said they wouldnt recommend doing it.

16. iomatic macrumors regular

I have a spare MBA charger I'd use for traveling with an MBP instead, and was wondering similarly. Found this:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=468822

MBA:
    45W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system

MBP
    85W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system

My uneducated, unqualified, unprofessionally unguaranteed guess is the MBP will draw the maximum load off the charger. Then if you really push things, the charger will probably overheat; though I bet there's some mechanism for the charger to stop that.

Just a guess. No responsibility taken here for any problems this total guesswork would cause.

:D

17. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

It won't over heat. It'll just reach the maximum load it can handle and it won't exceed that. Now if it was the other way around (65w magsafe port on the machine and an 85w charger) that might cause some problems.