Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinkinflickr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
My macbook pro has no battery life left, I lost the charger and only have my sisters MacBook charger! Will it charge my macpro??

JLatte

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2005
San Diego
MacBook Pro? No, it won't.

Does it just not charge it enough? Because the other week I was working on a macbook and a macbook pro and was too lazy to grab the pro's adapter upstairs and decided to see if it would work. It said it was charging on the Pro, and seemed to be ok?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
It will power it, but not charge it very quickly while the notebook is on. And it will, very slowly, charge it with the MBP off.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
They're not. The MacBook charger cannot draw enough power to keep a MacBook Pro charged while it is in use. It MIGHT be able to charge it when it is off or asleep, but you cannot use it plugged in.

They are still interchangeable.

All I have are 85W chargers so I can't say if the 60W will charge it while its being used. The unibody MB comes with an 85W charger so if that is what your sister has it should do just fine.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
They are still interchangeable.

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means...

YES, the PLUGS are interchangeable, but I'm saying that since one is 60w and the other is 85w, you can't keep the battery of a MacBook Pro charged with a MacBook adapter while using the computer, so the only good comes with the computer off.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means...

YES, the PLUGS are interchangeable, but I'm saying that since one is 60w and the other is 85w, you can't keep the battery of a MacBook Pro charged with a MacBook adapter while using the computer, so the only good comes with the computer off.

As you said, the plugs are interchangeable.

We don't know if the OP is concerned that he will break his MBP using the MB's charger. In that case they are interchangeable and will do him no harm.

As for what good will the 60W do for him, well if that is all he has access to, charging it and then using it for a couple of hours is the way to go until he gets a new charger. In that case they are interchangeable until he gets the replacement bits he needs.

So until we get more info the plugs are interchangeable depending on his uses. That's a much better explanation than just saying they are not interchangeable.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Actually you can even use the MacBook Air 45W charger. However you can't use and charge at the same time. But it will charge if it's off, and it will power it when on but not really charge it much.

And before someone says it doesn't work, yes it does, I've tried it.

So in an emergency, yes, you can use a lower power adaptor.

UndisclosedP

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
So, i've just purchased a 15" macbook pro. I used to have a white macbook from early 07. I use the laptop at work and at home so I have two chargers, so I dont have to remeber to cart it too and from work. I now have only one charger for the pro so I want to reuse the charger for my macbook for a week or so until my second pro charger arrives from apple. (I forgot to order it at the same time, doh). I understand that it wont charge the pro, but... will it damage the pro or... the adapter? I've given my macbook to a family member who wants both adapters when i'm done with them so i'd prefer them not to be damaged.

TIA.

UDP

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I just thought I'd mention that using a 60W charger, I was able to watch Hulu on my 15" 2.4 unibody but it charged it as well. My GF's early 2008 15" is the same.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Whenever i borrow a friend's macbook charger for my mbp, it charges and powers it fine..just charges a bit slower.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Yes it will charge. But slow. It is interchangable as it has the same power plug (depending on which country) and same MagSafe connector. Whether it damages or puts stress on the battery and related circuits is beyond me, but technically it shouldn't since the MBP has a max voltage of 85W. 60W should not damage it... since it is a lower voltage.

iphonematt

Jul 10, 2007
It works just fine. It is obviously recommended you use the 85 watt as much as possible, but use the 60 when needed. I have both a MacBook and a MacBook Pro and use both chargers with both units. My MacBook Pro even charges when on while using the 60 watt, just slower, but if you don't care then its fine I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.