macbook charger light flickers between red and green

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lamadude, Mar 4, 2008.

1. lamadude macrumors 6502

Hey,
    when my macbook is connected to the charger it will constantly switch between 99% and 100% charge, and the light switches from red to green and back all the time. I've looked for solutions online, some people say it's a problem with the chargers, others say it's the battery or even the logic board.
    I wouldn't mind this problem in itself, but I think that it's bad for my battery. According to coconutbattery my battery is at 44% of its capacity (2313 mAh) even though it was at 85% or so a couple of weeks ago, before this problem started.

What do you guys think? Any help or advice would be appreciated...

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I'd find/borrow another charger and try it and see what happens. Then you'll know if it is battery/cpu or charger. Battery/charger are fairly inexpensive fixes. If it still acts up using another charger, try doing a PMU/firmware reset.
    I hope you mean between orangeish yellow and green? Red shouldn't be an option on magsafe...
    From your post, it seems like an older MB and no Applecare?

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sounds faulty, if the battery is less than 300 cycles (check in Apple Menu>About This Mac>More Info>Power) then call Apple and get a new one of those too.

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Can you take your machine into the Apple Store for them to check it out? They will have additional power supplies, etc to see if they can help diagnose the issue...

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

There is one Apple Store in Brussels:

Galleries Inno, 4th floor
    Nieuwstraat 111 - 123
    1000 Brussels

6. lamadude thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies, yes I meant orange instead of red, not sure why I typed "red" yesterday, must have been tired :)

According to "about this mac" I've only had 63 load cycles and it only holds 2361 mAh in charge anymore...

I didn't even know there was an apple store in Brussels, there's a premium reseller in my street (in Leuven), I'll go ask them first, but if they don't come up with an answer I'll check the one in Brussels.
    Thanks for all the help!

7. lamadude thread starter macrumors 6502