Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srClaire

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2009
My MacBook won't charge, I have a brand new charger so (this time) it isn't the charger that is at fault.

It gradually got more and more difficult to get a good connection and get the MacBook to charge and now it won't charge at all no matter how much I fiddle with it so I assume that it is the charger "port" (if that is what it is called) at fault this time - I cleaned it and there was a tiny bit of improvement for a few days but now cleaning doesn't help either.

Someone told me that it is possible to fix/replace this part DIY style at minimal cost and that it isn't that difficult.

Any comments, tips, links ect?

Oh and I am out of waranty and can't afford to send it off for repairs so it really is a case of DIY or put the thing in the bin :(

nerd05

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2004
It sounds as though you've got a bad DC in port, assuming that you've got a brand new genuine Apple charger.

The DC in port is the thing that you plug the charger into on your MacBook. If you look on eBay you'll find they are relatively inexpensive (about $20) and while they're not trivial to fix on your own (not as easy as a RAM upgrade), it's not a super difficult thing to do (good Sunday afternoon project).

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
My MacBook won't charge, I have a brand new charger so (this time) it isn't the charger that is at fault.

It gradually got more and more difficult to get a good connection and get the MacBook to charge and now it won't charge at all no matter how much I fiddle with it so I assume that it is the charger "port" (if that is what it is called) at fault this time - I cleaned it and there was a tiny bit of improvement for a few days but now cleaning doesn't help either.

Someone told me that it is possible to fix/replace this part DIY style at minimal cost and that it isn't that difficult.

Any comments, tips, links ect?

Oh and I am out of waranty and can't afford to send it off for repairs so it really is a case of DIY or put the thing in the bin :(

Have you tried resetting your SMC or PRAM?

silhouette8

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011
My DC port is loose too! Mine still charges though, but only sometimes...before the DC port came loose, my charger stopped charging altogether. What is going on and how do I fix this?

session101

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2011
Salt Lake City, UT
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hey guys... So two options... Two connectors..

Your options are if your connector on the charger side is bad you need to buy a new charger or go through possibly cutting the wire before the connector and finding a replacement and soldier that sucker while it hopefully works afterward...

Mine I used alcohol and swabbed both connectors and UT worked until I unplugged it then i would have to use alcohol to get it to charge again, a used charger was only $30, I also borrowed another charger to confirm it was the charger that was the problem

2nd it may be the connector off the logic board that is the problem, you can search how to replace that specific part on ifixit.com and I think you can buy the part through them too or hit eBay up

2nd

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
First thing would be to let us know exactly what kind of MacBook you have, because there are two different possible scenarios.

First is, you have a pre-unibody, 2007-2008 MacBook. If you purchased a new L-style adapter, you need to install the 1.4 SMC update.

If you have a unibody MacBook, it's possible the magsafe port is just recessed. It's fairly common if the side has been impacted with the connector in place. It's fairly easy to fix. You just remove the bottom cover, remove the crossmember, disconnect the LVDS cable, loosen the screws holding the magsafe board and push it as far out as possible and then tighten the screws. Test and reassemble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.