Macbook charger/psu problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nick012, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Nick012 macrumors regular

Hi all, I'm on my 3rd magsafe charger after the first two had the frayed cord issue. This new one is the aluminium kind.

Anyway, I woke up this morning to find my macbook turned off with the battery flat, even though it was plugged in all night. I've noticed that the light on the charger turns off and the laptop switches to battery power seemingly at random. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with the wire going into the connector as the changing the position does nothing. However, the connector is almost hot enough to burn you and it is much too hot to have touch your skin...

Does this sound like a problem with the magsafe of the psu in the laptop? The laptop is over 3 years old and the charger is a couple of months old...

I REALLY don't feel like paying for ANOTHER magsafe out of warranty. They aint cheap (although they're considerably cheaper than a new laptop).

Cheers!

UPDATE: it is no longer hot to the touch! Unfortunately, it has pretty much stopped working altogether... It still flicks on occasionally... I guess it was the charger. Can't wait to buy another one a whole 2 months after buying this one. Do magsafes have a warranty?

2. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Yup! It is covered by the same 1 year warranty as your MacBook. :)

3. Nick012 thread starter macrumors regular

I bought my macbook in May 2007... Do you mean that each new magsafe comes with a one year warranty? I would have thought that would bankrupt Apple....

Posting from my PS3 :/