Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
I leave my charger plugged into my Monster surge protector all the time. I dont leave my macbook plugged in all the time though, only when my battery is low. Is this constantly using electricity? and is this ok for the charger?

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Far be it from me to challenge Mad Jew, but I'm pretty sure that even when an item is plugged into a surge protector there is at least some electricity being used.

Some "green" websites indicate that anytime an item is plugged in to an outlet it is drawing at least a small current of electricity. If you're concerned about electricity, a surge protector that stops "phantom" use may be of interest.

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
my biggest concern is that i dont want it to be costing me money for the electricity it might be using while plugged in. Think it will make any difference, like more than a few dollars a bill?

Tweak3D

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
it has a transformer in it therefore it is using power. shouldn't hurt the charger at all but it is using power so it is not helping you to leave it plugged in.

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
o i c. I guess i will unplug and plug it in every time i need it. The only thing is that my monster surge protector is in the back of my tv stand and its in a tight spot. I suppose i will just have to deal with it, especially because i dont pay my electric bill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.