Macbook Charger Safety Concern

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by benmhs, Feb 28, 2010.

1. benmhs macrumors newbie

benmhs

Just now, I noticed that the wire in my MacBook charger had come loose. It appears that some wiring is now exposed. As soon as I realized this, I immediately unplugged the charger, for fear of an electrical current.

So, should I be concerned, or is there no electricity running through the exposed wire? Im only concerned because there are are small children in my house who are often near the charger. Any insight?

Here is an image of what it looks like:
    [​IMG]

2. polotska macrumors 6502

The picture isn't showing up for me.

Is the computer under warranty? If so, call AppleCare or go to an Apple Store and they should replace it for you.

This is a common issue and there is some danger. As a temporary precaution, you could wrap the affected portion of the cable with electrical tape, but I would replace it as soon as possible.

3. benmhs thread starter macrumors newbie

benmhs

I just replaced the image. Ill wrap it in some tape for now, but does the image give you any new insight?

4. polotska macrumors 6502

Got it. Looks pretty typical and the comments I made above stand.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

mine did the same thing, but at the end of the cable where it goes into the computer.
    it did fail eventually in a cloud of smoke, and a loud hissing noise, and the whole cable burned itself in half.

if at all possible i would not use it, But i definitely wouldn't leave it plugged in when you aren't in the room. It is a fire hazard.

6. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

that will make the problem look better, and possibly prevent a shock.

The big problem here is the fact that several of the strands of wire are broken, meaning the remaining strands have to carry more power, which can lead to heat and eventually fire.

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Any failure in electrical wiring/cabling/insulation should be cause to immediately discontinue use of that device.

That being said, what's coming out of that end is DC, low voltage, low current, so actual shock hazard is minimal at worst, but there is still sufficient fire hazard, which is why it should be taken out of service without delay.

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

Obviously you know nothing about electricity.