Macbook charger smells burnt and no longer getting charged...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JT86, Apr 26, 2008.

1. JT86 macrumors newbie

2. wedge234 macrumors member

take it back and tell them what's going on? There's really not much else that can be done, and nothing else we can really advise you on, I don't think.

3. decal macrumors member

decal

I agree, all you can do is take it back and make sure you do not use it again! Even to see if still works!!

4. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Yeh, what's the problem? Just take it back and get a new one. It's dead. Done.

5. maxxscholten macrumors regular

My macbook is about 2 years old now and out of warranty. I never bought apple care because I figured I'd be buying a new one around this time (over summer when they update the MBs/MBPs).

Well a week ago my charger started to not charge anymore and I experienced the same burning smell.

While using my macbook it started charging again.. and after about 15 minutes the area where the cord meets the magsafe, it caught fire and started to burn through. Apparently this is sort of common, it's happened to a few people, but not a mass majority.

I took it to an apple store and they replaced it for me even though my warranty was not longer :D

Which was really good since they're like $80

So I would definitely take it in and I bet they will replace it for you for free, especially since your MB is new.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Get it in to the Apple Store like "yesterday" if not sooner! :eek: