MacBook charging battery without having been unplugged

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrv1126, Mar 9, 2013.

1. andrv1126 macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumors, I have been doing some work on my 2010 MacBook for the past few hours with the laptop plugged in - I haven't used it on battery, at all, for the last few days. A few minutes ago I noticed that the light on the power adaptor has turned orange and OS X's battery indicator says "1:56 until full".

This has happened a few times before, but I always thought I just used it on battery at some point and forgot about it. This time, however, I am absolutely certain that I haven't unplugged it for a second and that the indicator light was consistently green up to this point.

"Battery Health" says that current charge is 71% and battery health is 91%, number of cycles is 252.

Has this happened to anyone else? Could this be a sign of battery failure?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like your adapter connection may not be secure. See the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. andrv1126 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I read trough all that, but couldn't find anything that addresses my issue - I've always made sure I use my power adapter correctly.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you make sure the connector and port are clean? There are 3 primary components of charging: the battery, the adapter and the logic board. If you've verified the connection is clean and secure, the problem likely lies with one of those. It sounds like this is intermittent, so it may be harder for an Apple tech to diagnose.