MacBook charging problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SESpy, May 26, 2010.

1. SESpy macrumors regular

SESpy

I have had my polycarbonate unibody Macbook for 6 months and it's great. But i have a SERIOUS problem. Look at this http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7998/img2104o.jpg and see for yourselves.
    I had the new generation 65W charger and most of the time it got soooo hot that i couldn't touch the connector. And it eventually kind of melted the pins on my Mac. Also the pins of the connector on the charger were melted.
    I took my Mac where i bought it ( didn't buy it directly from Apple, since there isn't an Apple store here in Macedonia ) and they told me my charger was faulty and the burnt pins on my Mac shouldn't worry me...
    What do you think? i desperately need an advice. Do you think the situation could get worse?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think that's something you should take to an Apple Store for a replacement or repair.

3. SESpy thread starter macrumors regular

SESpy

They called me today and they said my charger was faulty and this problem is beyond warranty but i know that the laptop is 12 under warranty but the charger and battery are only under 2 months. I argued a bit and they said the burnt bits shouldn't worry me but it does. It can not be repaired and they don't wanna give me a new MacBook, i know that. The big problem is I don't have an Apple Store. Bought it from a reseller!

4. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Did you get a new Power adapter "Charger"? Are you still having overheating problems with a new charger? Do the melted pins affect charging?

Regardless this is not normal. I don't know anything about Apple in Macedonia or your particular situation or resources, but here in the US this would most likely be resolved directly through Apple. Your situation looks likes its a fire hazard, hopefully you are not still using the "faulty Charger" even then the melted pins could pose a fire hazard in the future or at least an increased chance of failure. You should find the nearest Apple Authorized service provider or Apple store and have them fix this damage as it is hardly acceptable on a 6 month old Macbook.

5. fluffyx macrumors 6502

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

It might work if you get a new charger for under $100. The burnt pins may not stop if from charging. But the pins are part of the laptop, so if it still doesn't work with a new charger Apple should cover it.:D

7. SESpy thread starter macrumors regular

SESpy

thank you all for replying. I don't think they'll give me a new charger for free even if it is under a warranty by Apple for 12 months. They want about 120 euros for a new charger. They also offered me a non-original replacement charger for 50 euros. Will go for the original...
    Anyway the old charger is very weird at the connector, the magsafe...

Anyway since the Mac is still under warranty at the reseller, I'll use it for a while like the with the charging pins and if the situation gets worse, i know they'll have to give me a new MacBook or at least they'll have to try replace the burnt part. Is that even possible? :)
    I am also noticing one more thing. Since they, in the store charged the Mac with a replacement, non-original charger, the battery is now holding up much better. This is weird. I mean i am constantly on WiFi and it never was so good.
    This is really much better than with that previous faulty bloody charger :D
    Any advices from a lawyer's or legal perspective in case the Mac should get a repair or even if it comes to that point that they'll have to replace my current with a new one?