Macbook chimes on start up but has black screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Saxophonedave, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Saxophonedave macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2012
    My older white Macbook from about 2008 (serial # YD8110ULZ63) does not have a functioning monitor and I could use some help trouble shooting.

When pressing the power button in the top right hand corner to boot the machine up I get the usual chimes sound and the blueish light facing me on the right hand corner of the Macbook keyboard body lights up. The light stays on for a second and sometimes I get a grey screen for a beat, but more often the screen remains black. That same little light on the right corner below the keyboard goes out. If I close the screen (close the clam shell) that same little light comes back and pulses normally.

Some trouble shooting I have done:
    I have reset the SMC as well as NVRAM/PRAM.
    I booted up my sick Macbook as a Firewire drive and the hard drive showed up as an icon and I was able to access data.
    I tried the DVI output on the side of my Macbook to see if I could use an known working external monitor. No signal was detected.

Anyone have any thoughts what my next steps to trouble shoot this problem might be? Or is there a possibility I have given enough information that someone can say what the likely problem is?
  2. Rynwar79 macrumors newbie

Nov 20, 2012
    Think you have a similar issue to me.

Look at my last post