Macbook Choking on Certain PopCap Games -- overwhelmed processor?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Christina1971, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Christina1971 macrumors regular

Hi All:

I have a Macbook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, running 10.5.8. 2 GB of RAM.

About the most processor-intensive thing I do on my Macbook is play a couple of games -- Plants v. Zombies or Zuma Deluxe. (Don't judge! :)) Often when I am playing, the games start to stutter and freeze, the cursor freezes every few seconds too.

This generally happens when there's a lot of images being displayed in the game, though not always. Usually it will have been playing fine for a while, then the freezing starts. I have tried shutting down all open programs when this happens, which generally makes little difference. Once, I played with the Activity Monitor bars activated. During the times that the computer freezes or stutters, it looks like 100 percent of my processing power is going to the game. (The bars are all the way to the top.)

I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and if it's a sign of something actually wrong with my computer, or just an indication that the games are taxing the system.

Thanks in advance for any help you can lend.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It's a sign that Flash on OS X is a piece of garbage...that's about it. The next revision is supposed to bring CPU usage more in-line with what it is in the Windows environment.

3. Christina1971 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, thanks for the info. And it turns out that I am running a slightly out-of-date version of Flash. I don't know if it'll make a difference, but I just updated so we'll see.

4. Goettel macrumors member

There is an experimental (pre-beta) version of flash floating around but I can't remember where I got it. It brings CPU usage down quite a lot but is a bit crash prone. Googling it might find it.

5. Christina1971 thread starter macrumors regular

This may just be my ignorance, but is Flash the issue even though I'm not running these games in my browser?

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Did you pay-download them? Even then, they may be flash based (not sure though).

7. Christina1971 thread starter macrumors regular