Macbook choosy about DVDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mulze22, Jul 15, 2007.

1. mulze22 macrumors regular

I just got my Macbook and I was wondering why my Macbook will not even read some of the movie DVDs I put in. When I put them in it will start up make a clicking noise and then reject the DVD. The DVDs I was trying it with were from the library so they have two metal strips covered by tape on the top of them for theft protection so I was curious if that would be the problem or is my drive screwed up. Thanks.

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

The actual disks have metal on them? That could well be the problem. Is it picky with disks that don't have these strips on them?

3. mulze22 thread starter macrumors regular

Yup that seems to be the problem. Discs without the metal work. Dang that stinks b/c there are some good movies.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

It's a shame that they don't work! Sorry about that. I'm not sure if this would happen, but those metal strips could eventually scrape the top of the drive. Maybe it couldn't spin properly in the slot load drive and therefore failed to work.

5. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear about your problem!
    The first DVD I put in my MBP was from the library and it played just fine.

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

When you return them you could politely tell them that you were unable to play the dvds due to their tampering.

Sure it might not get you anywhere at the time, but it might make them think again about their anti-piracy measures.

7. mulze22 thread starter macrumors regular

Thats a good idea. I'll keep that in mind when I go next.

8. mulze22 thread starter macrumors regular

So for some unknown reason I thought to try a library DVD again and I noticed that when I pick up the front of the macbook and have it at an angle that the DVDs play perfectly. Can this possibly mean that the drive is broken or is something just taking the pressure off of the metal strips.

9. macboy67 macrumors newbie

metal strip problem

I just rented a number of CD's from the library and my macbook hates these metal strips. It was throwing a literal fit to eject it. The issue seems to be with the clearance on the pick-up mechanism for the drive. My Sony surround sound receiver has no problem with it.

10. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

slot load drives - sleek, but impractical. I've had numerous problems with my MacBook's 2 matSHITa drives. Good thing my 5 year old Compaq CD drive still works flawlessly :rolleyes: