Macbook + Cinema Display or iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vinterbird, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Vinterbird macrumors newbie

Hi,

This has probably been discussed in different forms, but I would like to get some input from people on the subject.

I'm currently using a 2008 Macbook as my primary machine, and I am now starting to feel the need for a bigger screen and a more desktop like feel when I am at home.

The thing is, I would also like more harddrive space, never hardware and a machine capable of some light gaming in Bootcamp now and then. That all sounds like an iMac, but there is the money problem and the fact that there doesn't seem to be an update coming anytime soon for the iMac, and the current hardware isn't all to gaming capable.

So my question is, what would be the better solution. Getting an iMac and using two machines, or getting a Cinema Display and using my Macbook on that, and down the line getting a dedicated pc for the gaming portion (is it even possible to hook up a computer to the Cinema Display?).

If anyone has any personal experience using the Cinema Display and Macbook combo, or has been in the same situation, any input would be greatly appriciated.

(Also, has there been any talk of Apple updating the Magic Mouse, or is it safe to get one at the moment and not see the update announcement next month?)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use a 24" ACD along with my MBP. i love it.

The cost of the 24" ACD is much less then that of a 27" iMac so it was a no brainer. I cannot see spending 1200 bucks and only getting a 21" display (and computer) Since I'm happy with the performance of my laptop and the cost was less then an iMac I did not even think about getting an iMac.

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

There are a few nice options if you do not mind going refurb. http://www.refurb.me
    -24" AC refurb is only $599
    -21" iMac is as low as $999 (w/500GB)
    -27" iMac w/1Tb drive and graphics card is only $1,450 and can work as a monitor for your Macbook.

I just made the move from a PC to Mac two days ago. I originally wanted a new powerful 15" MBP and external monitor. After waiting several months for the MBP refresh I decided to go with Plan B. I bought a 27" refurb iMac for $1,450 and will later pickup a 13" MB for travel. My refurb iMac looks brand spanking new. But, if money is tight then I would go for a refurb 24" AC

4. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

The 2008 macbook have mini-dvi out, the 24" Cinema display have mini-displayport. No they do not work together. There is a converter that cost $150 example http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-p-17859.html but you are better off purchasing a display with ports for YOUR computer and that is not Apple's 24" cinema display. Buy display from someone other than Apple that match your setup.