macbook & cinema resolution problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by silverFox505, Jan 8, 2011.

1. silverFox505 macrumors newbie

I have a white Macbook, 4 years old, with an Apple 23" Cinema display attached. I use screen mirroring and both monitors display in 1280 x 800 resolution.

After I upgraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard last Fall (now on version 10.6.5) I noticed the Cinema monitor once in a while slips into 1920 x 1200 resolution and I have to reboot to get it back to 1280 x 800. Has anyone else seen this behavior and can it be corrected?

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You can't change it back with the Displays system preference?

3. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

Also you should check to see if you may need a cinema firmware update for SL.

4. silverFox505 thread starter macrumors newbie

More details

Yes I can change the display res of the Cinema HD back to 1280x800 in Preferences, but the real problem is the laptop screen is blank and the "Color LCD" display doesn't even appear in Preferences. Only solution is to reboot.

I notice this aberration only occurs after the Macbook has been asleep for more than about an hour.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I've got no solution for your problem, but I'm curious why exactly you run a 1920x1200 display in mirror mode and force it to 1280x800. That must look horrible! :confused:

6. silverFox505 thread starter macrumors newbie

Transporteur - it looks fine - its my wife's computer and this is the way she wants it. I have own computer. We each have our own resolution settings and marital harmony prevails.

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Well, that's fine then. As I said, just curious.

However, although not really MacBook related, I too experience that graphics problems occur with current releases of Snow Leopard more often than they did with previous versions of OS X. In fact, I never had any problems with 10.4 or 10.5.
    Apple recently released 10.6.6, you might wanna give it a try and see if it solves your problem.
    If not, I've got only the hard way as a possible solution (starting with 10.6 and updating it step by step to the version in which the error occurs, then go back a version).

8. silverFox505 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mutinygraphiks - where do I check for firmware updates? I am already on 10.6.5 - wouldn't that include any firmware updates if any existed?

Transporteur - good idea, I'll try the 10.6.6 upgrade.

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Firmware updates show up in Software Update. System updates do no include firmware updates as firmware updates are specific to certain models and system updates are not.

10. silverFox505 thread starter macrumors newbie

Transporteur - did the 10.6.6 upgrade. Resolution doesn't change on the Cinema display upon waking from sleep, but now the laptop display is blank. Put it back into sleep mode, wake it up, the Cinema display does a weird pixelization thing and then it is ok.

Still not working like it did back in the days of 10.4.x and 10.5.x.