Macbook Clamshell Mode

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by emoore, May 16, 2008.

1. emoore macrumors regular

Ok this maybe a stupid question but I am trying to use my Macbook in clamshell mode. I have a Samsung external monitor hooked up via DVI and a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. When I close the Macbook I can't wake it up with the keyboard or mouse. I do have the option in System Pref to wake with Bluetooth device but it will now work. I also have the power cord plugged into the Macbook. I even tried using a USB mouse and I still cannot use the macbook in Clamshell mode. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

just a thought. clamshell mode can only be run if the laptop's ac adapter is plugged in. could this be your problem?

3. emoore thread starter macrumors regular

The AC adapter is plugged in. Still cannot run clamshell mode.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

5. chscag macrumors 65816

Make sure you have your external monitor setup correctly in System Preferences, Displays. You should have it set so that it mirrors the MacBook.

Just a WAG here but....

Also check the settings on your Samsung. I also have a Samsung (Syncmaster 220wm) and I know that if the monitor is set to VGA input it won't work. The MacBook will appear as if it won't wake until I open the lid. Setting it for digital input restores clam shell mode.

Regards.

6. emoore thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the help. My settings were correct. It turns out that I got it to work after turning the mouse off and then on again. I had a feeling it would be something easy like that.