Macbook "Classic"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Loalq, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Loalq macrumors newbie

What do you think are the chances of Apple keeping a 3-model lineup of laptops after the introduction of the so called "ultra portable" on the 15th? I would not rule out the possibility of them keeping current macbooks in the same way they did with the Ipod Classic version...

Just a thought...

(My first post here, so my hello and respects to all of you who have been making this forum so interesting over time!)

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I doubt it'll be called the "classic" Macbook,

3. match311 macrumors member

It depends too on if this thin laptop will be a "pro" or not. If it has touch capabilities then I'd assume it would be on its own and they would keep the current macbook setup.

4. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I just expect it to be classed as a smaller MacBook Pro. Doesn't need a to be "check me out" new brand, it'll sell itself. And I wish people would stop jabbering on about touch, such a tacked on fanboy idea, and needless in a notebook.

5. Loalq thread starter macrumors newbie

I am just about to buying a new laptop, but I just need to wait for what is coming out next tuesday.

Still, I am not really satisfied with what I have heard so far -- less than 13" is too small and no CD/DVD drive is almost unnacceptable...

And I have to agree, this touchpad stuff also sounds overrated by now.

6. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

If you spend a lot of time with more seasoned Mac users, you'll certainly hear them lament on the passing of the 12" PowerBook. These are the people that Apple would aim the super slim sub notebook at. Not the rest of us. The super-road warriors for who every ounce of extra weight is completely unacceptable.

I'm with you in that I'm not one of them, and that's why I say that the ultra portable is not aimed at 'most' laptop users, it's a niche market in my opinion.

I'd still wait for next week before you decide but I don't think the new ultra slim (if it even really exists) is for you (or me). 17" MBP all the way baby!

And yeah, I agree aboot touch, it doesn't float my boat either. I think that'd be a hard sell personally.

Cheers, eh.

7. sal macrumors 6502

macbook classic, macbook pro and the new macbook touch?

:D

8. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I am the one you mention. I LOVE my 12" PB. I bought a MacBook when they were introduced, but it was just enough heavier and it bothered me. However, the trusty 12 was getting long in the tooth so I bought a BlackMac. I enjoy the extra screen real estate, but I will buy it if Apple introduces a successor to my 12" PB. :cool:

9. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

Hmm i still use my 12" PB... and debating to go for the new "ultra-portable" if introduced or the standard 15.3".
    Depends what hardware it comes with, i need a CD Drive and a SSD would be too small; capacity wise for me. We shall wait and see :cool:

10. Surely Guest

Surely

Before my MacBook, I had an iBook G4. I loved the 12.1" screen. It was a great size.

How often do you actually use a CD/DVD drive? I think I've used mine twice since I got my MacBook in November. Couldn't an external drive be sufficient for the odd time you need to use a disc?

11. one1 macrumors 65816

Like................ Apple? :)

12. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Bah, personally I'd like them to release a 12inch MacBook with a steal plate in the back of it, make it 10 kgs of painful displeasure.

Damn I hate that term 'road warrior' and I hate the fact there are people out there (this isn't directed at you btw) who bitch and whinge about every ounce in their so-called 'important business trip'. Talk about delusions of grandeur.

13. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I don't want them to release anything like that.

Just for the fact that if they do, i'll WANT it, and I know I can't afford it and don't need it. :eek:

14. iBecks macrumors 6502

Welcome to MacRumours.

How about MacBook Lite or MacBook Nano?

It makes you wonder what they may call a new "ultra portable"

15. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I'm sure Apple would rather not be niche. It just has to be in this cut-throat market or they'd lose money. :p

16. bartelby macrumors Core

Diet MacBook Vanilla maybe?

17. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

i actually agree with you on this one! :D
    macbook pro, macbook classic and macbook nano

18. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

What about people who carry a notebook to and from work/school/college on their back every day? How is it a delusion of grandeur to wish for a slightly lighter notebook?

19. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

I've got a MacBook black, I've got a bag, and none of it is heavy. Its very light and comfortable. Maybe the issue is more to do with fitness than needing to have a lighter laptop.

20. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I had my MacBook, adapter and some textbooks (I do Law) in a bag and I did my very best to avoid going uphill to the top of campus that day. ;)

I pledge to do more morning jogs :(

21. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

That's probably true.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

For those of us, who are on the road a lot, it does really make a difference.

It has nothing to do about delusions of grandeur. It has to do with making traveling easier.

In my office for example, one fellow is going on the road (as in leaving the country) for two weeks. He just found out today. He leaves Monday. Having good kit ready to go is very useful in times like this.

Also, while saving 1oz may not be much. If you could save 1oz on everything you carried, those since ounces add up to pounds and that does make a difference.

And as someone with a sub 2 pound notebook, I can sure see a difference in "feel" with my regular PB15 that I carry. Sometimes I even carry both due to work requirements. But when I can go with the sub 2 pound notebook, I usually do that.

23. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

I've got Philosophy and Religions books - when ever I hear complain about their load, I'll show them the, on occasions, too bags I carry around :p

At the end of the day, the point I'm trying to get accross is that a couple of kgs isn't going to break your back. When ever I hear people complain about the weight, I always wonder how much crap they carry around which they don't really need.

Side note, my backs already stuffed (was hit by a car) so it isn't as though things can get any worse :p

24. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I need a desktop for gaming, music, photos, and raw number crunching for projects.

I need a laptop that has a 5 billion hour battery life, is thin, light, and can surf the net. Basically, a macified Asus eee PC.

So, I got the thinnest and lightest mac that can do all that.. and ended up with a 15" Macbook Pro. Bad move. I'd sell it in an instant and buy a PC and Macbook lite in a heartbeat.