macbook clicker

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kristofer, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Kristofer macrumors member

this morning when using my macbook i noticed the clicker beneath the track pad was a little stiff, and the click, usually silent, was quite loud and snappy, as though something was broken underneath. Any ideas what might be wrong with it?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Bit of crap under it, try blowing under it to dislodge any small particles that may have gotten under it.

3. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, I have some compressed air... Hopefully that'll help. Blowing on the clicker with my mouth doesn't seem to work. :(
    It actually sounds a lot more like something is loose inside it. If I push down on the left side hard, and then the right side, it makes a great pop.

4. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

blowing around the clicker with compressed air hasn't helped. is there a way to perform surgery on the laptop and see what's going on beneath it? Has anyone heard of this happening before? It seems to have happened over night. and I take care of my mac. the only thing i can think of is that last week my boyfriend gave it a whack when he was frustrated (which i scolded him for), but it hasn't acted up until now...

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

6. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

The same thing kinda happened with my PowerBook. It would sort of make a 'snap' noise.

It may not be as loud as yours, but like all things in life, I ignored it, and it went away.

7. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

Apple care? No. Never heard of it.
    Strangely enough I can make the sound stop for an undetermined amount of time by pressing one side of the clicker and blowing on it. But then the problem returns... it's like an entity! I'm so confused.

8. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

I had this problem, and then my clicker stopped working all together. I have applecare and it still ran me $140 :)eek:) to replace the whole topcase.

9. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Don't know about the Macbooks, but in my ibook lifting up the keyboard and prying up (GENTLY) the edge of the plastic by the trackpad and using compressed air solved my problem. Of course, when I took it apart to replace the hard drive, there was a bunch of crap underneath it...

10. Tim117 macrumors regular

I used to rest my head on my hand which is connected to my elbow which I would lean on my macbook...and I would have that problem...then I stopped...the problem fixed itself

11. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

I'm almost certain i know what the problem is now. My stupid boyfriend dripped wet candy on it and now its hard, so it sticks the clicker down. I'm SO angry. I could fix it if I opened up the laptop case and scraped the gunk out, but I'm worried I'll break something if I go tearing into the laptop. I'll just bring it to the place I bought it and ask them to do it for me.

12. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

You'll pay through the teeth. Look online for an illustrated (i.e., photo step-by-step) guide, it's not hard to work on laptops, just a little daunting at first. :)

13. Tim117 macrumors regular

Maybe try using a piece of paper of a very skinny paper-clip to clean inside the seams.

14. morphineseason macrumors regular

Check out www.ifixit.com for a guide on opening your macbook and getting to the trackpad. Although, you should double check with Apple or someone that knows about Applecare and be sure it won't void your warranty.