MacBook clutch hinge problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Erko, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Erko macrumors member

My 2009 Unibody Macbook has broken/worn out hinges making the screen sit crooked and loose. I ordered a pair of replacement clutch hinges online, but on arrival I realised that it's impossible to move/twist them. Am I missing something? Do they require more force or is there a certain technique or did I just get sent broken hinges? I haven't installed them yet, so maybe they only operate when connected to the computer?

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The hinges are adjustable so that the toplid sits properly aligned with the rest of the computer....

Are you sure the hinges are worn - maybe the screws connecting the hinges to the topcase are loose ???

The clutch hinges will be very stiff and almost impossible to move - you need the leverage of the 20 cm long screen lid to move them......

3. Erko thread starter macrumors member

No, I think they are broken, the screen doesn't hold its position very well. I can basically rattle the screen up and down from one side when the lid is about 120 degrees open. I think the right one is a gonner, the left might be good but I'm not counting on it.

Thanks for clarifying the bit about leverage, I wondered this but wasn't sure.
    Hopefully I can open up my Macbook soon and check if I would actually need to change the hinges. I realised I would need a T6 Torx screwdriver and I dont have one + one screw holding the fan grille is stripped...

Edit: The screws connecting to the topcase are tight, the ones connecting the hinges to the screen might be loose, although I suspect hinge failure.