MacBook coating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Samtb, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

Can wiping MacBook with a wet cloth alot really damage it's coating? In what way does it damage it?

2. Beecker macrumors member

Beecker

I'm not sure about a mac book. But I use alcohol and or Lysol wipes when cleaning my MBP. I'm not sure this helps.

3. maxosx macrumors 68020

The only way to properly clean it is a microfiber cloth moistened with water. Nothing stronger is required unless its been abused.

4. Beecker macrumors member

Beecker

I should have clarified what I meant. I clean the aluminum with alcohol or Lysol wipes. The screen, I use a micro fiber with screen cleaner or just a mist of water.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. Whoever told you that is wrong and shouldn't be allowed near a computer.

Apple even provides instructions, right here:
    http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/care/

6. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

What about screen cleaning fluid? Does anyone know what it's made of?

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Usually it's mostly water, with some isopropyl alcohol and other mild solvents mixed in.

Edit: Crazy what you can find with Google, here's the exact composition, 99.1% water with some other crap mixed in

https://www.klearscreen.com/MSDS.aspx

8. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you think if you wipe the aluminium parts of the MacBook with the fluid, it would damage it over time?

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The aluminium on the Mac is anodized to protect it against the elements including cleaning solvents. However it's not recommended to use abrasive solutions; some things like the sweat on your hands can cause pitting in aluminium, so just be sure to wipe it down once in a while.

Also don't use sandpaper or scrubbing pads.

I usually use rubbing alcohol with a paper towel as it both cleans and disinfects.