MacBook Colors are Blotchy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by supergrandma, Dec 1, 2007.

1. supergrandma macrumors member

I recently purchased a new MacBook. Everything with it is great, except that colors, especially darker ones, appear blotchy and uneven. My screen resolution is 1280 x 800, color is set to "millions," and I am using the Color LCD display profile, but it seems as if colors are set to the 256 level.

Any suggestions?

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

3. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Can you be more specific? Colours when playing movies, viewing pictures... just general OS navigation?

4. supergrandma thread starter macrumors member

The desktop wallpaper, photos in Safari, and especially DVD movies all have a blotchy look, as if the colors are set to 256 or something.

5. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

I returned my Santa Rosa MacBook due to problems with display contrast and color reproduction. You can see that thread here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=386863

I also noticed the dithering effect which you are referring to. It is particularly noticeable with gradients and darker shades - the clock widget in Dashboard, for example, looked terrible.

Currently there are two theories: either these issues are caused by the drivers for the new X3100 GMA, or Apple are using particularly low-quality LCD panels for the Santa Rosa MacBooks. I suspect its the later.

6. supergrandma thread starter macrumors member

I hope this is an issue that can be addressed with a driver update in the future; it'd be a real shame if the problem was hardware-related.

7. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

8. Rotary8 macrumors regular

my mbp has better contrast. the macbook seems a bit washed out if your viewing angle isn't the best. Only 3 days old and I've gotten used to it. I can't picture myself using it for intense photoshop work.

In all honesty I don't think it's all that bad.

9. TheStu macrumors 65816

Apple is using the same quality panels as everyone else basically. It is not like Apple went out and intentionally got crappier panels and then said 'look how awesome they are'. No, they bought 6 bit panels just like everyone else. Last I heard/checked, you cannot get an 8 bit panel that is smaller than 19" diagonal.

10. supergrandma thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone think this is a problem that could be solved by returning the computer, or should I wait for a software update? It seems like this color issue is affecting a lot of MacBooks.