MacBook colors washed out

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Luke Redpath, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

I bought a MacBook today to replace my old MacBook Pro. One of the things I was looking forward to was the glossy screen and the vivid colors that I never had on my MBP. I can't help feeling disappointed and wondering if there is something wrong with my MacBook screen. No matter how much I play with the brightness or color calibration tool, all of the colors look really washed out, perhaps more so than they were on my MBP; it looks matte rather than glossy. The backlighting seems to be quite uneven too and I'm wondering if the backlight is the cause.

Is this normal? Or should I think about taking it back? I will take in to work on Monday and compare it to my colleague's MacBooks but I was wondering if anybody else has experience this.

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The MacBook Pros have better screens than MacBooks. I believe you have it backwards unless I'm reading your post wrong.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I disagree that its simply that MacBooks have inferior screens.
    But I will say that my MacBook looks much better (dare I say great) since calibrating it with a Sypder 2 device.

4. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

5. Mackan macrumors 65816

I believe some people have used a different color profile, and also adjusted the contrast settings in system preferences, to reach a somewhat acceptable display. But still, Apple clearly uses garbage screens for MacBooks, as pointed out on numerous places.

They should have switched to LED displays for MacBooks too, now with the latest February update. But, for pure marketing... they will always try to separate MacBooks and MacBooks Pro, if they can, and as long as they can. It is just plain annoying and disappointing.

6. Luke Redpath thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've tried various color profiles including one downloaded off of this forum but they make no difference. All they do is give the screen a blue tint. The colors are still really washed out - not at all what I expected from the glossy screen. It's really noticable on reds - its almost like the difference when switching between RGB and CMYK preview mode in Photoshop. I don't do serious graphics work but its really distracting.

I'm going to take it to work to compare to somebody else's and if theirs is the same then I'm going to have to seriously consider taking it back because this just isn't acceptable. I guess I'll have to stump up the extra £500 for the entry-level MacBook Pro after all. :(

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I have both the MacBook and the MacBook Pro - and the Pro's screen is definitely better.

A glossy screen cover should make things more vivid, but the MacBook's screen is still not anywhere near as good as the MacBook Pro's.

You made a mistake :(

8. Luke Redpath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funny, because reading on here everyone seems to love their MacBooks.

9. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Not in my eyes...the MBP has a very bad screen...My MBA is amazing...

10. slybeans macrumors member

11. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

OFC they do. My dad loves his, but he still agrees that the MacBook Pro's screen is better.

The MacBook's screen has little detail in brighter areas (no matter what the colour profile is like), and the colours seem a little 'duller' (although brighter at the same time) than the Pro's.

The MBP is the best display I've seen on a MacBook Pro. Neutral colours, very even backlighting (for a laptop screen)...

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I personally think my MacBook's screen is very good. I'm not a professional photographer, so perhaps I am slightly forgiving, but it sure sounds like there is something wrong with the original poster's screen.

13. mincemac macrumors newbie

Bad Batches of Screens

After reading numerous forums about people complaining about washed out macbooks, I'm convinced they have lowered the quality of screens.

At work late in the fall and in January we received about 50 macbooks 2.2/1gb/dl, all with display quality you'd expect from Apple. We just received 10 2.4/2gb and they all have this washed out look. With or without migration, the newer ones literally pale in comparison. To me, it's completely unacceptable. Others don't have an issue with it, but it's clearly noticeable, and shocking side by side. I'll try to edit and post a pic soon. It's clearly not a driver issue since two identical units have the same image, same calibrations. It's the same card. It has to be the screens.:eek:

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yup welcome to the MacBook line. The screens Apple uses in the MacBooks are very cheap...especially the Samsung and Chi-mei ones. I guess this is how they maintain profit margins...cheapimg out on some components.

The best screen you can get in MB is the LG but the chances you get that are based purely on luck and I don't even know if the current revs have them at all

The best portable screen Apple is currently shipping now is the MBA's followed by the MBP's

IMHO Sony and Toshiba still use the best of the best portable screens I'm their notebook lineup

Calibration will help a little but it won't fix a display that inherently bad. I have a feeling you'd find that your colleague's screen is also washed out and you'll have to end up ponying up the extra £500 for a MBP. Hopefully I'm wrong and you just got a bad screen which can be replaced with a better one but I doubt it

15. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

It's funny, because part of the reason I bought a MacBook was the screen. However, I got a first-gen MacBook, and I've felt for a while now that the screens on the newer MacBooks aren't as good.

Don't know if anyone's tried using this profile on newer MacBooks:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304534

16. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Macbooks have the lousiest screens I've ever seen. Macbook Pro is a huge improvement but still not great.

If you were expecting an improvement, my condolences. The Macbook screens are bottom barrel, CCFL backlit, super glossy displays.

17. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

i have been watching the degrade of apple screens since the late powerbooks and it is disgusting both the mbp and mb screens suck period , hell my titanuim screen could smoke both of them put together but the mbp is better than the mb thats for sure.

i am typing this on a friends £350 lenevo and the build quality and screen are brillant maybe apple should learn from these guys !!!!

18. Macsforcollege? macrumors regular

this concerns me! considering i plan on getting one in june:(

i dont need a pro so thats why i planned on getting a macbook.. is the screen that bad?? i dont want a crappy screen.. this isnt good

19. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

Go to the store and check one out. Decide for yourself whether it's acceptable by your standards or not

20. Italchef macrumors 6502

Read the earlier post for "David's Profile"
    I downloaded it and it really helped.

Mick

21. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

the profile does help and it will be my proof to the store that without this calibration the screen looks awful

22. Macsforcollege? macrumors regular

23. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

but we dont have mbp's otherwise we'd probably saying the mbp screen is way better :p

24. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

buy a flippin macbook already

25. Macsforcollege? macrumors regular

next month... for a graduation gift. and im curious to see if theres an update that will come out..... so until then il learn more about the macbook.
    this is what bothers me... i found this off a site

I am mostly a mac user, but I swear to god my new macbook is the lowest quality crap I have ever bought from apple. I have had hundreds of problems. STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING BESIDES A MACBOOK PRO. Imacs are still great though.-Yahoo answers.

i hate bad reviews lol