Macbook Combo drive not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neomartian, Nov 24, 2007.

1. neomartian macrumors newbie

I was burning couple of CD Roms when my Combo drive stopped working at all. It gave an error message which I ignored as I thought its some writing error. Later I put another blank CD Rom which the Combo drive didnt read. I put some more blank and software Cd Roms but it didnt read at all. I put some DVDs and the Combo drive is not reading them and ejects it. I've used this macbook for around 11 months and didnt write a lot of CDs. My warranty ran out this September as I bought this machine from my friend.
    PLEASE HELP!!! I'm out of warranty and cant afford to buy a new machine. Some suggestions please!

2. aquajet macrumors 68020

No need to buy a new machine. You could use an external USB drive or if you're feeling adventuresome, you could replace the faulty drive yourself. iFixit.com has easy to follow take-apart guides.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You can find external cd/dvd writers instead of having to replace your entire machine.

Sony dvd/cd burner

That particular one is $89 with the discount. So don't expect to pay much for a unit similar.

4. eman macrumors 6502a

You could replace the combo drive for a super drive and then you wouldn't need to lug an external drive around. The super drive would burn DVDs also. I have one I could sell you if interested, send me an email.

5. neomartian thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone knows its hardware or software error?

Thanks guys for reading the post and replying to it. Is there any chance this is a software-related problem and not hardware? It seems to be hardware though. I want to sell this machine on ebay but if I sell this with hardware problem it would not fetch good money. Here in UK, hardware accessories are very expensive and I envy the prices in US, its a gadget paradise.....

How do i get the superdrive inserted into my macbook? Is it easy to do on your own?

6. eman macrumors 6502a

Could be a software issue, but sounds like a hardware issue.
    One of the superdrives that will work in your macbook is "UJ-857-C" and can be found on ebay. You can find guides for replacing the drive at: www.ifixit.com