Macbook Combo Drive Q

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JDMFSeanP, Jul 8, 2008.

1. JDMFSeanP macrumors regular

Ok so I recently bought a macbook off of ebay and the seller didn't give me exactly what promised.

But the real question is the combo drive doesn't work. I put a disk in and it just makes a grinding gears noise. Nothing shows up on the desktop and the disk is not read anywhere on the macbook. The disk can still eject though which is good.

I called apple and I am still under warranty, though the macbook is not registered under me. Once it's registered under me I can go and get the macbook repaired most likely at a genius bar.

Main question, how do I find who it is registered too if the previous owner does not know, as the seller was from a pawn shop? Am I screwed?

I can try to return to the seller but I love this thing, so :(

Please help.

Thanks,
    Sean

2. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I'm not sure I would take it in. I might just call apple and start a repair claim. They will ask for the serial number (click on the apple on top left and click about this mac). They will then tell you how many days warranty is left. They will send you a box. I'd be afraid that the genius's would ask too many questions.

3. johnsy macrumors 6502

I don't know what are you talking about. In my case they didn't asked anything, but serial number- they got that from product itself. The same was for imac and ipod. Of course I am original owner, but they didn't asked that.

4. johnsy macrumors 6502

Might be computer was extensively repaired or went trough many users who repaired it or it was stolen. That is the only explanation.

5. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

Does genius bar just take it and ship it off anyways?

I checked on warrenty, until November 2nd of this year.

They said I need to find who it is registered too on the phone before they can go any further with any repairs on the macbook.

Also before it was shipped the drive worked, and I know it did because it had a fresh copy of leopard on it and a new copy of iLife, which had to be from CD.

6. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

They could have easily used an external drive to load OS.

7. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

hm, good point.

Thing is, seller is gad to take it back, though I don't want to give it up and have to look for a new one, so a free drive replacement would be easier for me

8. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Yea, I know you want to keep it. You may be in a bind if you can't find the OO. Just get a refund if you have to. The refurb site had 2.0 MB for $799 an hour ago. I think the genius's do a lot of repairs on site.

9. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, though this is the new base model that I just got from 800. Saved 300 and its basically brand new.

Seller said if he cannot find previous owners info he will ask his boss and said it is likely they will pay for the replacement if I cannot get it for free.

10. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Actually, if the applecare is until november, that means it is a november 2007 model which was updated in feb 08. I have a nov 07 MB and I love it. However, an $800 refurb will be "new" with a 1 yr warranty and 3 months tech support.

11. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

The laptop says its a 2.2ghz with 1gb RAM, as well as an integrated x3100, well whatever.

Oh nevermind I just realized its a super and not a combo, my mistake. Checked out specs on mac and it confirmed.

Ill sort it out with the guy on ebay.

If I take it into an apple store and they say no because I'm not OO, no harm done right?

12. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Yea, I would try taking it in. I thought calling apple was the best first try. Now that your back to zero, I say try the apple store. Hope everything works out awesome.

13. nyzballa12 macrumors member

Since your not the OO, its mostly likely going to be that you have to sort it out with the seller

14. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah seller says his boss will not allow him to give out the name of the previous owner.

He said I can send it back to him, he will fix, and relist.

Even with a broken superdrive I can still sell it on craigslist for more than I bought it for if it really starts to bother me, so I think I will go in and talk to apple and if that doesn't work out I'll just keep it, then if it bothers me enough sell it and buy a refurb.

15. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

Take it in.
    They don't ask for the owners info or anything. I took in an iBook that I had bought from some guy, and they looked at it and everything for free, and did not care I didn't buy it. Its mine, and thats all that matters.

Warranties from Apple ARE transferable.

16. JDMFSeanP thread starter macrumors regular

I need to call my apple store to schedule an appointment right? Then I just bring it in to the genius bar?

17. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

Or register on http://www.apple.com/retail/