Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YoNeX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with USB Thumbdrives that aren't too big when plugged into my MacBook, so I can use the other USB port (usually plugging my iPod or other USB storage devices).

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Lexar JumpDrive Sports are pretty slim. Plus they have a great cap that fits on your keys. I have a 1gig, it is great.

ozontheroad

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2006
the reef
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with USB Thumbdrives that aren't too big when plugged into my MacBook, so I can use the other USB port (usually plugging my iPod or other USB storage devices).

The Kingston Data Traveler.

Its small enough that it doesn't block the other USB ports.

deathjux

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2006
You could always get a short USB extension cable from the Interwebs or your local computer parts store. That way you could buy whichever drive was the biggest for the cheapest and not worry about blocking the other port.

iBS23

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2005
The Sandisk Cruzer Micro is about as slim as they come . . . I've had good luck with mine.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
The Kingston Data Traveler.

Its small enough that it doesn't block the other USB ports.

Work has moved us to these USB drives - but the Secure Privacy version...
anyone ever got it working on a Mac?
the password app is a .exe file and the drive only shows in Finder as a disc not a drive.

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
Work has moved us to these USB drives - but the Secure Privacy version...
anyone ever got it working on a Mac?
the password app is a .exe file and the drive only shows in Finder as a disc not a drive.

I've got a Sandisk cruzer with the U3 software; on first time you put it in, you'll see two drives will appear; one will appear as a cd, the other as a disk; the best way to avoid this is download the uninstall software which will complete blank/remove those extra bits - the only downside is that you'll need to run the application under Windows.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I've got a Sandisk cruzer with the U3 software; on first time you put it in, you'll see two drives will appear; one will appear as a cd, the other as a disk; the best way to avoid this is download the uninstall software which will complete blank/remove those extra bits - the only downside is that you'll need to run the application under Windows.

Only the disc appeared...
at work on the PeeCee the DTSP disc appears and then by clicking on the exe file it allows you to insert your password which then mounts the drive.

First time I have tried it on my Mac only the disc came up...

work's SOE requires secure USB drives - which is why they have mandated this Kingston drive.
Any work around / Mac OS X app to allow access?

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
Only the disc appeared...
at work on the PeeCee the DTSP disc appears and then by clicking on the exe file it allows you to insert your password which then mounts the drive.

First time I have tried it on my Mac only the disc came up...

work's SOE requires secure USB drives - which is why they have mandated this Kingston drive.
Any work around / Mac OS X app to allow access?

You could manually use something like PGPDisk if you want, which is available for Mac OS X and Windows - but require you to install the software.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
I think all flash drives are at least compatible, just not any software that may come with it.

I enjoy the Sony Micro vaults.

mlcolorado

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2007
Colorado
Almost all USB Flash drives you will purchase these days will be small enough. The only thing you want to avoid is a USB portable hard drive, which may block other ports.

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
Love Mine

2047684314_0af26552a0_b.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.