macbook concerns/queries

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by metalhead86, Nov 16, 2008.

1. metalhead86 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I have almost finalized on getting a 2 gig macbook.Personally i really want to go for it but the following concerns/queries bother me

1)screen- This review i read on amazon says that the screen is bluish,blacks on the screen been washed out :eek:,that old macbook had a better display and finally states that the screen is unusable!!http://www.amazon.com/review/R2DXQ1LC3XO4XV/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2DXQ1LC3XO4XV

i usually use my laptop for programming 4-5 hrs at a stretch.will the screen be a problem?

2)camera software for mac-some cameras like the sony t700 explicitly state that their software is not suported by mac osx.Are there softwares that provide some kind of interface? or should i go only for cameras which claim that they are supported by max osx?
    i am aware that macbooks dont come with a memory card slot.is this a real issue?

3)Virtualization-is 2 gb ram enough to run 2 os's at the same time with a moderate number of applications running?

4)finally where do i get macbook deals?

first of all does it matter whether i make my purchase from apple store or a reseller like amazon?

check out price for a 2 gig model on apple store is 1360 odd (after tax and student discount).on amazon it is 1288 with a 50$ mail in rebate. do i take this offer or wait untill thanksgiving?amazon offer expires on the 17th.

ebay perhaps?

2. Totti macrumors member

Do you honestly think Apple would manufactor a laptop witch a screen that is "unusable"? Half the people who tell you the blacks are blue probably couldnt tell the difference between a MPB display and a MB.

Go to a store and see one for yourself, and leave any prejudices you may have in your head from reading the internet behind!

3. metalhead86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the reply Totti,ofcourse such reviews are uncalled for,but still puts one off.I will go the store to check out ..

can some body please address my other queries?

the amazon offer is abt to end..

4. svndmvn Guest

I think you'd have a no tax "discount" on black friday at the apple store, isn't it true you can pay no tax if you buy online from the apple store?
    2gigs of RAM should be enough for bootcamp,that's what i'd recommend for using your windows only applications, and for multiple apps in Mac OS
    Don't worry about the screen, if it's really bad as in "Apple would recognize it as unusable" after a calibration done by yourself, they will exchange it even if you bought it through Amazon.
    I doubt the screens got worse than the earlier generation, they should be a lot brighter thanks to the LED light, and they probably just look washed out due to the glass,don't really know..don't worry, buy it whenever you want, and enjoy your machine

5. metalhead86 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reassuring reply..

i just need to keep my eyes wide open for deals,rite now live.com is offering cash back for purchases made from certain stores ...

wht abt the cameras?do i need to look out for mac-compatible-only cameras?

6. charliex5 macrumors regular

I checked out a MBP and MB side by side yesterday. They both had the galaxy leopard background and in the bottom corners where it is black the MB was VERY noticeably inferior. I liked the feel of the MB better but that screen did it for me. My next purchase will be a MBP for the sole reason of the washed out screen. I didn't believe it would be that bad when reading the descriptions online, but I was really disappointed.

7. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

The MB screen is bad, as was the last one. The MBP's is far better, but I suggest you try it out in the store regardless.

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Calibrating the screen improves contrast and sharpness by far. The screens are an improvement over the previous generations.

Drawbacks: Gloss and viewing angle. (Have always been a problem with the MB anyway. The glass just requires you to have more brightness to counteract it. (The LED backlights provide that).

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Nobody I know who has a macbook thinks so (including me). I guess "bad" is a matter of perception. Which is exactly why looking at it yourself is the only way to know if you'll be happy with it.

10. svndmvn Guest

So,do you think it's good or any different from the old ones?
    I think a lot can be done with the right calibration, it's done wonders to my external LCD
    ..and reading the poll about consumer satisfaction regarding late 08 MBs it's gotta be true, they're not that bad.
    And how would people feel if MBPs looked just as "good or bad" as MBs? everyone would be buying MBs or something else, I believe there's a Definition difference for a reason

11. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Some say the MBP and MBA screens are much nicer, but those computers cost a lot more than the MB.

I have a new aluminum MacBook. It is a beautiful machine. It is absolutely flawless. The screen is bright and blacks are black. The keys are perfect, and the battery cover is tight. It is a wonderful machine. It is built so much better than the previous Apple Notebooks. This aluminum unibody is truly an engineering masterpiece. It really makes the old Apple Notebooks seem like scraps of metal patched together. Holding it in your own hands will prove to you that it is a masterpiece.

That all being said, sometimes I find the display too bright after a long day. I would definitely say that my old MBA had a nicer display but that doesn't mean the display on the MB isn't remarkable. These Apple Computers are built so much better than PCs. You really cannot go wrong.

As to the reviews, I am sure there are a few bad computers out there but that is NOT even close to the norm. More importantly, there are a lot of Mac HATERS out there who will do anything to bash any new release. Be careful trying to differentiate the truth from those who are jealous.

You will love your new MB... Congrats.